I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank reccommendation for carp
Posted by: Kyle Unser (---.dsl.fyvlar.swbell.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 12:04PM

Not far from me is a widely known creek for big smallmouth, and I do a lot of floating there in the summer. It's also packed full of carp in the 10-30lb range, and I've seen some bigger than that. I'm looking to build a rod suitable for handling these brutes, but it has to be able to throw maribou jigs as light as 3/32 oz. Obviously it needs lots of backbone, and needs to be sensitive enough to detect a subtle carp bite. I'm thinking it needs to be 7', spinning of course. Not sure what action is best for that kind of set up. I'm assuming extra fast. Not really my normal style of fishing, but I assume it's what folks would use for jigging big trout. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank reccommendation for carp
Posted by: Joe Azar (---.sub-174-252-192.myvzw.com)
Date: March 02, 2011 01:34PM

Instead of a rod, how about a gaf.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: March 02, 2011 01:35PM

I use a 9' 6wt or a 9' 8wt.

Date: March 02, 2011 02:09PM

well, a gaff, gig, or bow all work well, but I'm looking for a spinning set up. I use an 8'9 7wt to fly fish for them, but, once again, looking for a spinning setup in the 7' range.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 02, 2011 02:48PM

What worked for me last season was the MHX HS9000 blank. I can throw very small lures /baits and it has a fast tip. A good backbone too. Not got one in the 20# plus range on that rod yet yet but from what i have seen so far with redfish on the same rod i would be happy to take it on with this blank. This is NOT the blank for throwing big weights and 'method fishing' for carp, its strictly a small bait caster.

Date: March 02, 2011 03:29PM

Thanks Lou. I was already looking at an MHX blank for a crankbait rod. Don't know much about them, but guess I'll just have to order two.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 03:32PM

Call MudHole up and talk to Todd He will set you up

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 07:15PM

Kyle,
Essentially any of the rod blanks and rods that are sold for catfish will work very well for big carp.

A glass rod is a wonderful type rod for this fishing. The soft tip and gentle action of a good glass rod is great for the style bites that Carp have.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: matt willey (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 03, 2011 11:50PM

st.croix has a carp rod but it's 9' but i think that you can cut it down 3cs96mmf2 it is mf rod most carp rods lonley have 6 eyes + tip but it is 150.00

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster