I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions about NERB's shade kits
Posted by: Jody Pierce (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 10:03PM

First off, hello fellow rod builders. This is my second post and I didn't introduce myself in the first one. I have been building rods as a hobby for only a little over a year now. I just finished my 3rd complete build but I picked up a couple of blanks at the expo to keep me busy for a while.

So now my question. I attended Billy's decorative wrapping seminar and I liked his idea of housing small spools of thread in a tackle tray to help with twisting while wrapping 4 threads at a time. I purchased a shade kit from the NERBs to help me get started. If I want to use the tackle tray method, should I find some small empty spools and wrap the thread from the large spool onto smaller ones? If so, where can I find small empty spools? Are there other methods I could use?

Also, with the shade kits is it best to go in order from dark to light shades?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions about NERB's shade kits
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 10:11PM

THere were wooden spools bagged up at the booth, they were $4 for 20 spools. I have more in stock now. Yes you spool up form teh larger spool to teh smaller, use a scrap blank or a 1/4" threaded rod to slide the small spools on, and xfer the thread holding hte spool in your hand. USe awrapping lathe or a drill to turn it. Plano 3700 box. You can go light to dark, or dark to light. IT's up to you, jus trememnber the final color you use will be the most dominant in the wrap.

Have fun and post some pics when you are done.

Posted by: Jody Pierce (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 10:14PM

I must have missed the wooden spool packs. No big deal. Thanks for the reply.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2011 10:46PM

Don't waste your time looking for the spools in stores like I did. Unless you know for sure a place where you can get it... Just order it from Billy, or somewhere else on the internet.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2011 10:46PM

Don't waste your time looking for the spools in stores like I did. Unless you know for sure a place where you can get it... Just order it from Billy, or somewhere else on the internet.

Posted by: paul e gourley (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 04:23PM

I use the flambeau tackle trays you can get at walmart they arte perfect for holdin the madirea spools

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster