I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quacking and Clucking...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2011 04:47PM

For those who were wondering what all the noise at the Expo was about, read this:

[www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quacking and Clucking...
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 04:56PM

Some were
Wondering what the noise at the Atrium inn was too!! Funny story,glad you told after you teased me with it on Sunday.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2011 05:46PM

Mabye next year we can give Mcgivney a dog whistle.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 06:04PM

At first I wondered who let the ducks out, having no idea it was a goose or turkey noise maker. During my seminar I was pretty ticked off, adn thought McG was doing it on purpose, I cannot believe how loud those things were. And annoying. Especially at the bar and dinner table at Liberty Steakhouse

Date: March 01, 2011 06:06PM

Well, you won't have to worry about that sort of thing again.

Tom D. Kirkman

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 06:14PM

Billy
For the most part you were at the "quiet end" ... Lance was directly opposite. The guys at Phenix also took a lot of direct db's. Quite a few folks turned around at the cross aisle or cut short discussions. I'm glad that they forged a business relationship but .......

Posted by: Brent Boxall (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 07:49PM

This is FUNNY!

The 2011 was my first show but it won't be my last. I think I want to go every year now!
I think I'm hopelessly lost in rod building, I don't think I'll ever buy another manufactured rod. They just don't cut the mustard any more.

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful time! (I spent too much money though...)

Posted by: Jody Pierce (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 09:38PM

I was convinced there was a goose on the loose. I guess that says something about the vendor's products! Too funny.

Billy, I was in your seminar on Saturday. It did get annoying but you handled it well. If I had known it was a vendor I might have walked over myself and politely asked him to keep it down. But then I probably would have missed some important bits of decorative wrapping knowledge. Not to get too far off topic but nice job with the seminar. The only complaint I have is you made it look too easy. I came home that evening and found that I have a lot of practicing to do.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 09:48PM

Jody, I did go over to the booth and ask for a cease fire.. They were more than happy tone it down. They didn't realize that there were seminars in the same room . I also texted a reminder to a few that I knew had the calls but they were not at fault. The nice thing about the rooms for the seminars in Charlotte is that they were off the show floor and quieter. The bad thing about them is they were off the show floor and out of sight so I missed a few I wanted to attend. The Atrium is a little strange but they do have a caring staff. We had a questionable chair in our room but we marked it off so nobody would use it.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2011 09:54PM

LMFAO at the chair..

Date: March 01, 2011 09:57PM

The funny thing - other vendors said it increased their business as customers came over that way to see what was going on - they thought livestock was on display.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 10:16PM

Jody, thank you. I was nervous, and had everything in my head I wanted to discuss, and every time that duck quacked, I lost my train of thought. I'm not comfy at all public speaking like that, especailly at first, so that threw me off. I'm glad you fouind it nformative, adn yes it's a lot easier to watch me do it than to do it yourself. If you put in time it will get easier, especaillysince you have an idea of wha tto do now that you saw it in person and youhave some tips on how to do it properly.

HAve fun wrapping!!

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.61.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 10:27PM

I thought it was great, on the first morning people had to come our way to see what was going on and that put them in my booth buying stuff. Later some would come by and complain but again it put them in the booth buying stuff. My only regret is they didn't follow up on Sunday.

Posted by: mike burnette (---.pmtnet.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 10:34PM

Ima side with Jody,,Billy you did handle it well!
Considering you were consuming a lot of water up there!!! :))
mikeb

Home Town,Gretna VA

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 10:42AM

The goose & duck calls made me think I was at home. There are a few of each in the back yard right now, chowing down on the cracked corn my wife provides for all our feathered friends. However, I knew something was up when I heard the hen turkey and the distressed young crow squalling. All in all, I did not find it annoying at all.
Billy, I can't imagine that you were nervous. Sure didn't seem like it -- good job.
Bill

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 03:25PM

I had to look up what a ( did·ger·i·doo ) was ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Garry Hall (---.desm.qwest.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 06:52PM

I have been in the sporting goods business for about 5 years and in on place in particular we used to have a waterfowl weekend. I swear it's a competition sometimes between these guys to see who can blow the loudest. It could be VERY IRRITATING when trying to carry on a conversation with a customer whether it be in person or on the phone. I'd say you made a good call Tom by not having them back next year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster