I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dual purpose fly/spinning rod?
Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.adams.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 12:55PM

I have a client that would like a rod that will double as a 7wt fly and light spinning rod. He fishes for bone fish where they cast mostly flys, but occasionally throw shrimp. He doesn't feel that he does enough of each type casting to justify dedicated rods. Is there a compromise set up that will work half way decent for both?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dual purpose fly/spinning rod?
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2011 01:34PM

there are a couple of ways to accomplish this. you can make a long retractable fighting butt that will be used when spinning and the fly handle will be like a foregrip or you can place a ferrule to attach the handle. the handle can then be removed and reversed for spinning or fly depending on which way you attach the handle. sammy mickel has done some very nice ones of the second option.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2011 01:39PM

RodMaker Volume 12 #3 has full step by step directions, with photos, for making combination spin/fly rods.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 01:48PM

If you have any scrap blanks you can make the ferrules from them. Just make sure you have a nice fit on both ends

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 01, 2011 01:54PM

What guide size and palcement considerations would you make in this scenario?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 02:04PM

I generally went for the - cone of flight - system using spin single foot guides. After the handle is done I put guides on and depending on the reel size to be used played with guide sizes till it felt nice doing both.

The new Minimas should do well for this set up

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2011 02:06PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 01, 2011 02:06PM

Mike, get that rodmaker back issue, i built one using that as a template and it worked out great. All you need to know is right in there with pictures and diagrams etc.
I too used Minima 4's as guides. Worked well with this and my buddy loves it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2011 02:09PM by Lou Auret.

Date: March 01, 2011 02:32PM

Thanks for the replies. I knew I'd get good answers here. I don't post a lot but check the site every day. I finally got off my butt and subscribed to Rod Maker Mag.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 06:45PM

Mike,
A very simple way to do it is to simply build the rod as a fly rod, making sure that the first guide is of good size.

When you want to use it as a spinning rod, simply take off the fly reel, put on the spinning reel and you will be good to go.

It will be a bit tip heavy, and with the guide setup won't cast as well as a fully dedicated spinning rod, but for now and then use, it will work just fine.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 08:19PM

A gentleman with a site called "The Worried Shrimp", a few articles on his site in the recent posts section on rods that he has built that work very well. One is titled "Rapture" the Other "Magic". Simple, well thought out builds.

Date: March 02, 2011 12:55PM

That sliding reel seat is an awsome idea. I've pondered a compromise between Tennnessee handles and fixed seats but this never occured to me. I'll definetely be implementing this idea for a demo rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster