I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First cross wrap
Posted by: Curt Forth (---.mtco.com)
Date: March 01, 2011 10:39AM

Decided to try a decorative wrap of some kind. This is what I came up with. I didn't want to just make a closed wrap with the diamonds so I put a background on first. I think/hope it will look better with finish on it. New to building (this is number 5). Let's here some opinions good or bad. I can take it.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First cross wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2011 10:48AM

NIce work. I'd suggest giving this a try some day... shade the background in a continuous line from dark blue, to medium blue to light blue and then to white. All in one long progression. Then place your diamonds on top of that. Same basic idea but a different look.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 10:52AM

Overall the wrap looks good especially for a first attempt on cross wrapping. I think the add/drop thread in the background looks good too - makes it interesting. Looking at the second photo it appears that you may have a problem with either the tension, the tensioner (dirty/rough edge) the thread itself or possibly with burnishing / polishing the thread as there are lines where the thread appears 'frayed' (vertical lines where the thread color/density is inconsistent). This seems to happen more with NCP thread.

Date: March 01, 2011 10:52AM

Please explain a little for me Tom. Shade the background? That is kind of what I tried to do.

Date: March 01, 2011 10:58AM

Ken, if I understand you correctly, are you specifically looking at the lightest color? If so, I think that was dirt. Tried keeping my hands clean, but that light colored thread can be tough. I am definitely still learning on the tesion though.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2011 11:00AM

Right, I know. But instead of having the white or lightest portion in the middle, try going from dark to light in a single progression from one end to the other. It's the same thing, but gives a different look.

Date: March 01, 2011 11:02AM

Dark to light instead of dark to light to dark. Now I get it.

Date: March 01, 2011 11:02AM

No - it shows up in the light blue as well as off-colored lines. Dirt smudging on white is ALWAYS an 'issue' . If at all possible don't touch the thread with your fingers as oil from your skin can discolor white.

Date: March 01, 2011 11:05AM

I think what Tom is saying is: Start with solid dark blue (10-15 turns), add in one thread of light blue(5-10 turns) then a second thread of light blue(another 5-10 turns), then a third thread of light blue(5-10_, then drop the dark blue thread entirely (5-10) and begin adding a white thread, second white thread, third white thread, drop the light blue - as you move toward the tip the wrap will gradually fade from dark blue to pure white

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2011 11:10AM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: dave schaub (---.scansafe.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 04:59PM

You might try looking up "fade" in the SEARCH routine. That will give you some ideas on
what you can do with a fade. It would also be neat to use like 6 to 10 different colors
to gradually go from dark blue to white. You have enough room with a fairly long wrap.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2011 08:59PM

The background is pretty cool. I haven't seen one done like that. Nice job for a first wrap man!!!

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2011 08:59PM

The background is pretty cool. I haven't seen one done like that. Nice job for a first wrap man!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster