I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Explaining the spiral on TV
Posted by: billy broderick (---.sub-174-252-165.myvzw.com)
Date: March 01, 2011 05:31AM

Hi guys, As in a previous thread I am about to tape a show on Charlie Moore fishing show. My goal is to introduce more fishermen to custom rods. I want them to learn about buying one from a local builder or building there own. Either way I feel it is only a good thing for guys like me the pro builder and teacher.
My question is how do you personally go about explaining the vertues of the spiral wrap? I have to somhow explain to Charlie why his new custom rod I am giving to him and the ones I will use while being taped are better. I find it easy to show my customers and students when they hold it and I put some torque on the line. But putting it into words without being to long winded and ending up on the cutting room floor may be difficult. Let's hear how you guys would explain why use a spiral.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Explaining the spiral on TV
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: March 01, 2011 06:52AM

Billy,

Contact Bill Stevens.

Tom Kaufmann

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2011 07:12AM

RodMaker Volume 8 #4.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 08:32AM

If it is done well and fishes better - let HIM explain the feel. First it will come off better in the show as an endorsement and second it won't wind up "on the cutting room floor'.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 08:45AM

Let him feel the difference when a fish is on. That it does not want to turn over and twist the tip of the blank as on conventional rods do

Then again - Why do you like it Explain that

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2011 08:46AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (131.123.18.---)
Date: March 01, 2011 09:36AM

Of course, the editors will do what they wish, but if you can present the advantages by using simple demonstrations and discussing the advantages in clear, concise, and simple terms. You need to try to make a convincing argument in a short time, since you are looking at ~20min of film to actually make it into the show. I would be surprised if you get more than 90sec of film time to make your arguments about custom rods and spiral wraps.

Put together a jig to demonstrate the difference, make it as simple or as elaborate as you wish. Start with two pieces of PVC or rod tubes mounted side by side. Then simply tie off the lines to a heavy/immovable object, and crank 'em down. You could probably do it in the boat depending on how your rod holders are mounted, if you have some in the boat. The line will 'go where it wants to go', demonstrating the advantages in fish fighting ability. You can then explain how this minimizes the stresses on the rod and the angler during the fight.

I bet most saltwater guys will appreciate the demonstration for what it is. As for the freshwater guys, they will be terribly worried about how the spiral affects their casting distance. For this, a side by side comparison, where the proof lies in the pudding is best. Otherwise, you have to get them to take your word for it, which will likely be your only option on film.

I hope the trip goes well, and you enjoy the opportunity to show the advantages of a custom rod to many fishermen.

Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 10:39AM

keep us informed as to when this airs. I got to see it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 11:50AM

The irony here is that I once saw Charlie Moore do a seminar in which he mentioned the advantages of a spiral wrapped rod. So maybe you are in good shape

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 01:37PM

Tell him or show him how it helps eliminate wrest fatigued

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: billy broderick (---.sub-174-252-165.myvzw.com)
Date: March 01, 2011 03:49PM

I have a mock up of the demo machine in my shop already but it won't present it's self at the time I am "presenting" him the rod. Really my only option is to verbaly explain it. I am well awhare of the advantages just find it easier to show it by feel. Where as the camara doesn't allow for feel I was hoping different prospectives on it would help me get ideas of how to explain it.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 04:41PM

Billy
REPEAT: You do not have to explain on camera. Give him a well made rod. You can explain the "whys" to him (which from above post he has already done on one show) off-camera. Let HIM do the talking about how it feels on camera. That will be come out as an endorsement and not a "sales pitch"

Posted by: billy broderick (---.sub-174-252-167.myvzw.com)
Date: March 01, 2011 09:42PM

Ok Len makes sense! Guess im over thinking it. Its my irish blarney. Thank you sir.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster