I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank recommendation for albacore tuna
Posted by: Jerry May (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 26, 2011 07:03PM

I'm looking for some suggestions for an albacore tuna rod. I will be moving to Oregon and I want to do some albacore fishing off the coast. I really do not know much about this fishing but I'm reading up on it and getting excited. Here is what I'm thinking: something around 7' and 15-30lb. I will probably pair it up with an Avet or Accurate and attempt to cast live/dead bait or lures. I'm hoping to do some long range trips out of So. California in the future and would like to be able to use this rod then as well.

Calstar Grafighter: GF700L
Seeker Live Bait: CLB706
I would be open to United Composites, St. Croix, others

Should I go a bit heavier for these fish or are these blanks about the right size?

Any feedback would be great.
Thanks, Jerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recommendation for albacore tuna
Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2011 07:21PM

Jerry,

I would go with the GF700M gives you a little more beefwhen you hook into the occasional blue fin or big eye. Still light enough for albies but have some insurance in case you run into something bigger. I love the 700L and have seeral of them but usually run 20 and have been spooled by larger fish in the 60 to 80lb range. Just my two cents.

Tight lines,

John

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 26, 2011 11:20PM

I agree with John, you go south your going to see bigger species and yellowtail need a heavier blank than you mentioned.

Posted by: Kris Victorino (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: February 27, 2011 12:47AM

I've been building and fishing the Super Seekers, look at the CJBF70F, And CJBF70M. Either will have more than enough backbone for albies, or the occasional blue fin or big eye.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2011 07:42AM

I would use a Batson RCLB70L it will work very well for both live bait and iron

Ron Weber

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.nextweb.net)
Date: February 27, 2011 12:58PM

Second on that Rainshadow RCLB70L. That whole LB series is nice.

Date: February 27, 2011 01:01PM

Wow, thanks everybody for your suggestions... I got a lot more replies than I thought I would, and quick!. I'll go a bit heavier and beef up the rod. I'll look into the seeker and Batson blanks.
Thanks again, Jerry

Date: February 27, 2011 01:24PM

Not to be redundant here but isn't the Batson RCLB70L about the same rating as the Calstar GF700L?
I'm not familiar with the Batson blanks, but they are definitely modestly priced. How is the quality of these blanks in comparison with the more expensive blank companies out there?

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 27, 2011 01:31PM

RCLB for my choice as well, you might take a peek at the IMU series from Batson as well. if you are going to fish Oregon (and maybe Washington) albies, I'd build rods for that instead of beefing up to something for long range. Best bet would be a couple of rods, one for our smaller fish and the other to pack for the big biys.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 27, 2011 01:31PM

Thats "boys", not biys!

Date: February 27, 2011 01:41PM

I would love to build a couple rods and the retail for Calstars/Seekers are about double the Batson blanks, so it is definitely looking attractive to me. I'm pretty well stocked in guides and reel seats so the majority of the cost will be in the blanks.

So which TWO blanks now?

RCLB70L and _______________?

I'm thinking of building on one of their vertical jigging blanks as well... maybe the RCKJB600-150.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2011 02:48PM

I have never build on a Batson blank that I did not like yet. My biggest problem is that when I build something new for a client, I think Hmmm
I need to build one of these for myself, fortunately I am most of the time able to refrain myself, or I would have to build another room just to keep my personal rods in.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: February 28, 2011 06:59AM

I have compared the rclb80xl side by side with the gf800xl and they are very close. I would certainly go with an 8 foot blank as casting distance is important. The rclb80xl will fish 15-20 pound and the rclb80l will fish 20-25# just fine.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Denny Kaneoka (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2011 01:57PM

Kris Victorino Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been building and fishing the Super Seekers,
> look at the CJBF70F, And CJBF70M. Either will
> have more than enough backbone for albies, or the
> occasional blue fin or big eye.

Also,,,If casting might be an issue,,,you use the SS-CLB806(15-25) or the 806H(20-30). I asume you are fishing on a "private boat" and the 7' rods would be perfect. Also ,,,Super Seeker Rods "do not" bottom out and shuts off so you will have lifting power should a bigger fish is hooked.....you never know. Yes I agree with Kris on those 2 blanks suggestions....they will definitly do the job.......Check out the Seeker Rods website or if you can just visit the Fred Hall Show in Longbeach, Ca. March 9-13........Great show. Seeker will be there in full force.and I would be more than happy to help if need be.........Denny

Date: March 09, 2011 11:21PM

After much contemplation I'm going with the RCLB70ML and RCLB80XL... I guess I'll get something a little bigger when I head south to California. I'd love to build on the super seekers, they are just a little pricey for me right now... maybe in a few years. I'm planning on a tuna weave and split grips with sic guides; should be pretty sweet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster