I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1/16th inch masking tape
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2011 10:17AM

Here is one of many sources for 1/16th inch wide masking tape:

[www.autobodysupply.net]

or

[www.autobodysupply.net]

This tape is wonderful to use when attaching micros or any other size guides for that matter. Plenty of room to get several wraps on the guide after taping the micro in place on the short guide foot.

Just don't touch the end of the tape with your fingers when applying the tape to the blank. Otherwise the skin oil tends to reduce thd tapes adhesion to the blank.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 11:30AM by roger wilson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1/16th inch maskint tape
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2011 01:03PM

Of course, you can accomplish much the same thing with a regular roll of masking tape, and not have to buy something with so few applications. I take a regular roll of masking tape, and put a 1" long strip on a piece of corrugated cardboard. I then take an Xacto knife and slice it vertically into thin strips. Works the same, I suspect, without buying something else for the workshop that will not see use for much else. A roll of masking tape goes a long way. But, then, that's just me and my skinflint nature.
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Clyde Dent (---.lightspeed.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 26, 2011 08:30AM

I do the same thing, except that I use a piece of plexiglass as a cutting board. and an X-Actor knife. Presto! Any width and length that you want (just be ever mindful that sharp tools also cut flesh exceedingly well).
Clyde Dent

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 26, 2011 10:12AM

I probably would have ran a sharp blade over a roll of 3/4" masking tape. ?? Works Carefully.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2011 11:27AM

i just use surgical tubing. works well. but the tape is good too. thanks for the link!

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2011 11:27AM

i just use surgical tubing. works well. but the tape is good too. thanks for the link!

Re: 1/16th inch masking tape
Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: February 27, 2011 06:00AM

Thanks for the link Roger. I may try cutting my own, but if that fails at least I know where to purchase.
Steve

Posted by: Robert Bumgarner (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: February 27, 2011 08:05AM

Hardly ever use tape any more. I use the small rubber bands from the local orthordonist that they use for braces. Much easier to move the guides around for final placement and simply snip them off once I have the guide secure with the thread.

Posted by: Matt Wegener (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 01:16PM

I use regular rubber bands, 1/8" wide. Cut them in half and then tie them tightly around the blank with a square knot. They are very easy to move when distributing guides, and once you trim off the tag ends they also work well for test casting. Everyone has their method, this one works for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster