I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

securing small guides
Posted by: Dean Bledsoe (---.dynamic.dsl.skybest.com)
Date: February 24, 2011 10:39PM

I've had trouble in the past securing small single foot guides on the tip section of fly rods. On my next couple of fly rods I'll be using either minima or rec single foot guides. I once tried super glue, small o-rings, rubber bands ect. I have also seen guide foot adhesive in glue stick form. How does this stuff compare to tip top hot melt cement? I want to try dental bands or those spinnerbait collars. Will any one at the expo have small(dental) bands? By the way do I even need to prep the recoil or minima guides if they look ok?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: securing small guides
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 10:44PM

The guide foot adhesive is softer (more like a sticky wax) and it works great on all smaller guides, it however will not hold a heavy guide such as a large stripper when you turn the rod. I use it almost exclusively on my fly rod builds. Takes a little practice to get the hang of it, but once you do, I think you will like it.

Posted by: Wes Weaver (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 10:46PM

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 10:54PM

Dean,
Prep all of the guides. It just makes a much better job and it makes the guides much easier to wrap.

I wouldn't use any adhesive of any kind when wrapping rods. Just something to get in the wrong place and cause an issue.

Lots of methods to easily secure the guides with little hassle.

The easiest thing to do is to simply use thin ( 1/16th inch wide masking tape. Don't touch the end of the tape where it will adhere to the rod, or skin oil will cause poor adhesion for the temporary tape up.

Then, just go to a nice skinny band that nicely fits the rod. Although these bands work just fine, they are somewhat of a hassle.

Or you can go with the thread wrap method, where you put several wraps on the rod, and then just slip the end of the guide under the first two or three wraps and tighten the wraps down tight and you will be good to go.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Dean Bledsoe (---.dynamic.dsl.skybest.com)
Date: February 24, 2011 11:05PM

Roger you da man. I appreciate all the comments. I think I'll give that last method a try. thanx

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: February 25, 2011 01:43AM

The guide adhesive from flex coat works great. it does not cause any problem with wraps or finish. Ive been using it with micros exclusively lately. The key is not to get a ton of it on. i use a set of tweezers to hold the guide, heat the foot up slightly swipe it across the adhesive stick then stick it on the blank. I tried tape and bands and all that jazz but just never liked it. A lot of people dont seem to care for it, but it does work well for me anyway.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2011 07:28AM

I have also used the guide adhesive for about thirty years. I use it to hold micro guides and large guides on surf rods. I have no problems using it.

Posted by: Rick Ballard (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2011 09:34AM

I use the guide foot adhesive and it works great. Lot easier to work with than little bands or tape for those with the arthritis in the fingers. Like Phil said, hit it a lick with the lighter, slide it across the glue stick and place on the blank. I hold it in place for about 5 seconds and then start wrapping. I have used it for guides up to byag25

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2011 10:11AM

I use the bands because they serve double duty, allowing for easy repositioning during static placement, and then holding the guides in place for wrapping. On thinner tip sections, double the bands over, for a firmer hold. I like to place extra bands on the blank, just in case I need to rewrap a guide.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Bob Pratt (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: February 25, 2011 10:05PM

OK you glue the foot on, wrap it, and then find that you need to move it a little, what then?

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: February 26, 2011 03:42AM

If it needs to move then just move it. The guide foot adhesive is very weak. Just strong enough to hold them in place to wrap. They adjust very easily. I usually use bands while doiing my guide layout and test casting because they offer the easy movement needed during those processes. However when i am done, i mark my table with all the guide positions then remove the guides so that i can give the blank a quick clean up with warm soapy water to make sure there are no oils or contaminates that will mess with my finish. I then put the guides back on with bands (regular size guides) or adhesive (micros) then wrap away. Thats just whats easiest for me.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 07:13AM

I do as Phil. Use bands for static testing and guide foot adhesive for wrapping. and I never have trouble moving a guide if it is not wrapped overly tight.

All of the answers are correct so try all if you want. I have not had a problem with stickiness on the blank. if you do not get the guide at the exact spot the first time and need to move forward or back all you need to do is scrape off the excess with your thumb nail.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster