I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: riley rods carbon grips
Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: February 24, 2011 05:02AM

Steve thanks for the tip. Im going to give it a shot. If i can eliminate the shrink tube it will save a ton of money. last time i purchased the tube it seems it was more money than the carbon sleeving. Good info on the strips. Im sure i would have been cussing trying to figure out how to cut sheets into strips without it all sticking to itself and making a mess.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt willey (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 24, 2011 08:24AM

thank you that help alot I tryed wet down with the saran warp that was "great" , mike the brush was a big help I went to a art store and got flat brush stiff brisle that way I didn't get on bubbles I didn't need heat to the bubbles I did two with the new ideas that turned out asome!!!!!!!! thank you all

Date: February 24, 2011 08:27AM

phil what I did is to measre 1.5" on the roll and taped it off with painters tape and cut it with a shap raver blade

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mw.usar.army.mil)
Date: February 24, 2011 09:57AM

This is all great information as I am looking to do my first here. Talked to Vicki yesterday and wow what great people at Riley's!

one question I do have. What method are you guys using to "wet" the sleeve prior to pulling it over the core?

Awsome idea about the lathe and wrap! I will use that for sure.

Thanks much.

Date: February 24, 2011 12:14PM

got to seal the cor with epoxy let setup then wet the cor sow win you put the carbon seleve on the cor sokes though the carbon then I put a little bit because I am using the heaver carbon then you put shrink tubing on or saran warp need to do same to make them look good it took me acupple

but there are good dierction on riley rods .com

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mw.usar.army.mil)
Date: February 24, 2011 01:26PM

What I am looking for is how do you "wet the sleeve" do you brush it on the outside? Dunk it in a small bowl or the like prior to pulling it over the core?

Eric Viburs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is all great information as I am looking to
> do my first here. Talked to Vicki yesterday and
> wow what great people at Riley's!
>
> one question I do have. What method are you guys
> using to "wet" the sleeve prior to pulling it over
> the core?
>
> Awsome idea about the lathe and wrap! I will use
> that for sure.
>
> Thanks much.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2011 09:55PM

Practice does make perfect... I've had a bit of experience with carbon and kevlar laminations from boat building, so I carry that over to foam cores...

I have a 1/4 steel rod that I insert through the core - I start with a dry, unsealed core, then put the skin on dry.

it helps if you bunch the skin onto a piece of PVC pipe slightly larger than the core - helps to keep the weave aligned.

I support the steel rod with a 2x4 frame - and then begin applying epoxy from the middle out to each end - some of this is feel
DO NOT Skimp on the epoxy. I move fairly quickly to get the whole core wet out, then go back over with another coat of epoxy.

Once the skin is thoroughly saturated, wearing gloves, I basically wring the skin onto the core - and remove some of the excess epoxy in the process... Then I leave the core to cure - maybe turning the core every 15 mins or so for the first hour.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster