I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: T.L. Johnson rod blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2011 11:45AM

We're on the same page then - glass isn't automatically slower than graphite. If you get a glass blank that is slower than a graphite blank it's not due to the material, it's due to the design being slower to begin with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mike Carlson (---.freedom.wy.231.128.216.in-addr.arpa)
Date: February 22, 2011 08:26PM

Speaking from a fishing and building stand point, Terrys blanks are second to none. The unique part about the blanks are they were built to fish. The rods will load quick for close in casts, 10 to 30 feet, they will also handle a reasonable amount of line for a long cast, 30 to 60 feet, well beyond most small stream fishing. The glass blanks are not made for a distance contest, that is what fast action graphite is for.

The modern glass is very light, well built and a pleasure to fish with. Your casting stroke is more relaxed, your presentations are very soft and since the fish seem to be getting smaller with each passing year, the slower action glass make small fish more fun. The folks who use glass tend to be into the experience of of the fishing trip, that into the fluff and flash of the latest and greatest. Speaking of the blems for sale, the "blem" is a slight color difference between the tip and butt sections. Most of the green SG Glass were not blems, just close outs.

As far as cost goes, Quality is Quality, if you purchase a 12 dollar graphite you get a 12 dollar imported graphite, if you purchase a Tom Morgan you get a Kerry Burkheimer rolled blank manufactured in Washington State and imported to the State of Montana. Steve you should contact the guy who is selling the blanks and see what he has to say.

Mike

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 09:10PM

You get the same thing in graphite by using a heavier line. They rate graphite for lighter lines for the same power and that is why they feel stiffer. But they only feel that way. If you overline by one or two they will load the same as glass rods do. Try it sometime.

Posted by: Larry Snyder (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 10:46PM

I agree with Mike... Terry Johnson is one of the most talented rod builders you can find. I have one of his graphite rods and I know what a perfectionist he is
Larry

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2011 10:51PM by Larry Snyder.

Posted by: Larry Snyder (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 10:47PM

Mike... you are correct... Terry's rods are not designed for distance, but Joe Mahler (aka MarkerJockey.com) who did the logo for my website claims he was able to double haul a TL Johnson 8' 4wt fiberglass rod 90 feet. He said that it's not meant for that distance, but was pleasantly surprised that it can. I guess it helps to be a FFF certified casting instructor.

Larry

Date: February 23, 2011 08:24AM

You can get plenty of distance out of them by just dropping down a line size or two. Folks tend to forget that fly line weight changes as you move more or less of it beyond the tip. Here's something folks may find interesting: [www.common-cents.info]

Any rod, will cast any line, at some distance.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mw.usar.army.mil)
Date: February 23, 2011 09:50AM

John, this might be the case but it defets the purpose of the "lite" presentation. Many glass rods are for lite and delicate dry fly work. If you put a 6wt line on a 4wt rod to toss a 28 midge on a small spring creek it might cast nice but not the real tool for the job.

Some folk like the way glass rods cast, some like the way bamboo rods cast and some like graphite. Can't we just let folks spend "their" money on what they want?

I do not do much small stream fishing anymore but man do I like a slow glass rod on small streams! Just a nice slow casting stroke, very enjoyable to me.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sub-174-253-112.myvzw.com)
Date: February 23, 2011 09:55AM

Ding ding ding! For that man goes the prize. Good job Eric!

Date: February 23, 2011 01:43PM

Let's back up a minute - what is a "4-weight" rod?

A glass rod rated for a "4-weight" line and a graphite rod rated for a "4-weight" line may not possess the same stiffness to begin with. If both rods did have the same stiffness/power, then they will both cast the same line just as easily. Glass rods aren't typically rated the same way graphite rods are - that's where most of the difference lies. It's not the material that makes the difference.

In John's defense, you can effectively do what he mentions, but you have to back up and come at it from the other end. You'd want to pick a graphite rod that has the same power as the glass rod. That might require what the maker calls a "2-weight" or "3-weight" and then with a 4-weight line on it and then you'll have something that works very much like the 4-weight glass rod and casts just as delicately.

Everybody likes what they like (I own glass and bamboo rods and like them), but we don't want to spread the notion that graphite rods are hard to load or can't be cast delicately - they can do so every bit as well as a bamboo or glass rod. The trick is in selecting the right line for the amount of power the rod has, or the right amount of rod power for the line you intend to use. Sadly, many fly fishermen do not understand this relationship and it leads them to some false conclusions about the material their rod is made from.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 23, 2011 04:43PM

What Tom just mentioned is a place for custom builders to shine if they use their heads. The same thing these makers are doing with these glass rods you can do with graphites if you stop and give it a little thought.

I almost NEVER use the mfgs rod rating number. If a customer tells me he wants a graphite rod for close in small stream fishing with a #4 line, I find a blank with an ERN of about 2.7 to 3.5 and put NUMBER 4 LINE in lettering on the side of the rod. The first time the customer tries it he believes he’s got the sweetest, most easily loading graphite #4 rod on the planet.

The rod rating is whatever the mfg, or YOU, decide to put on the side of the rod. If you do this wisely your customers will think you’re a rod building genius when in reality all you're doing is the same thing the glass rod makers are4 doing. If I had to say, I would think that matching the right line to the right blank for what the customer wants to be able to do is what makes one person a custom rod builder and another guy just an assembler of rod parts.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: February 23, 2011 05:05PM

Well said Ken!

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster