I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
T.L. Johnson rod blanks
Posted by: Steve Harding (---.emkc.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 03:08PM

Anyone have experience with T.L. Johnson blanks? I'm thinking about building a 3 or 4 wt fly rod.

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: T.L. Johnson rod blanks
Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sub-174-253-113.myvzw.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 03:26PM

I recently built a TLJ glass blank. Nice blank. Slow glass action. Very nice color.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 03:36PM

Not to be a pain but what makes these blanks so good ?

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 21, 2011 04:19PM

I'm interested because I found a site selling blems fairly cheap.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sub-174-253-113.myvzw.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 04:33PM

Considering the blemish is a slight color difference on the blank located where the grip goes and that most modern US made glass blanks cost anywhere from $145 - $295. I'd say that what is being offered is a good deal.

Date: February 21, 2011 04:38PM

That's were I saw them too. They seem to be about 25% of the finished rod price. Just don't know anything about them.

Steve

Date: February 21, 2011 05:02PM

Lane

Glass blanks ?? You can not be serious. You can get a glass - no blem - for cheap What about Graphite

Don't know where you are getting your glass from ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.lf.br.cox.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 05:31PM

Bill, go look at Steffen Bros, McFarland, Tom Morgan, Kabutorods, Wojiniki, and see if I'm serious. Glass is making a comeback for certain situations. Even Scott has some high dollar glass rods.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: February 21, 2011 06:11PM

I purchased 2 of the 7' 4wt blanks a couple of months ago. They are slower than graphite, but faster than most glass blanks. I haven't CCS'd them yet, but I will try to do that tonight when I get home from work.
The finish is beautiful and the blanks are very light. They will make very nice fishing fly rods.

BTW, the ones I got are his original Olive green blanks, not the "lemon-drop" colored blanks. The green blanks have been discontinued, so if the blanks your are purchasing are the green ones, they may NOT be blems.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 06:11PM

I have been in contact with Mr. Kabuto with the intent of purchasing one of his exquisite fiberglass blanks.

Until I stumbled upon his work I had no idea such fine blanks are being produced in glass.

Tom Morgan's work and the others named above by Lane are also worthy of close examination.

The white Kabuto blanks caught my eye and the actions will surely be closer to my favored bamboo rods.

I planning to start with a 7'6" - wt- 3 PC.

I have no doubt that if his blanks were available at the upcoming ICRBE they would be very popular.

Dave Gilberg

Tom Morgan Fiberglass blanks
Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: February 21, 2011 06:28PM

I traded e-mails with Tom Morgan last week and he has just received his first shipment of his new fiberglass blanks.
If you are familiar with Winston's Stalker series (designed by Tom Morgan when he owned Winston) you know that these were some of the best fiberglass fly rods ever created. These are reported to be better than those.

They are designed by Morgan and rolled by Kerry Burkheimer, so the "pedigree" on these blanks is second to none.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 07:46PM

I'm building on vintage Scott right now the the customer found and had sent to me.
To each their own.

Mike

Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Date: February 22, 2011 07:37AM

You can get a St Croix for there blem prices And graphite

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 08:00AM

How is that relevant? You can buy a lot of blanks from a lot of different companies for that price. Only problem is we are talking about modern glass fly blanks not graphite. You keep bringing up graphite, and that's fine just as bamboo is fine, but again that's not what we are talking about. There are quite a few customers out there that are more than willing to pay for the most up to date modern glass fly rod designs. Why because they want them, they like the action, they don't like the maintenance or cost of bamboo, or whatever reason. Try and talk one of these guys into buying a SCII St. Croix and that will be the last time you will speak to them.

Date: February 22, 2011 08:03AM

What about weight

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 08:24AM

What about it? We all know that glass is heavier than graphite just as bamboo is heavier than glass. The customers know that too. It doesn't matter. There are trade-offs in all things. I have guys in my local club who hate graphite rods for their action but love the light weight. Love glass for the slow action but aren't fans of the additional weight. They still fish glass or bamboo. Keep in mind these newer glass rods aren't that much heavier than graphite. We aren't talking about some Eagle Claw with metal ferrules and other heavy components.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2011 09:56AM

It might help to have a bit of a clarification. Action is independent of material. The fastest action rod I ever owned was a Shakespeare President glass fly rod. Action is where the rod initially flexes. Glass rods can be very fast, and graphite rods very slow. Action is a function of diameter and taper, not material.

When Lane talks "action" I suspect he's talking about "speed." Glass reacts slower than graphite. That might help clear up any confusion as to why some folks still like glass (or bamboo).

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sub-174-253-97.myvzw.com)
Date: February 22, 2011 10:21AM

No I'm talking about the flex. Although people do like the slower reaction speed too. Deep loading and slow speed. Very relaxed casting stroke.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2011 11:20AM

I don't understand that. How deeply something flexes has to do with its power and the amount of load placed upon it. Glass can be stiff or soft, fast or slow action. Power and action are independent of the material used to make the rod.

Deep loading is achieved by putting more load on the rod, or having a rod that is less stiff.

If you have a glass and a graphite rod that have identical ERN and AA numbers, they'll load to the same depth for the same given input. But the glass model will react and recover more slowly.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sub-174-253-97.myvzw.com)
Date: February 22, 2011 11:34AM

Getting off the original subject but oh well. I agree with you Tom but generally speaking glass rods aren't as fast as graphite. Same length same ERN the glass blank usually will have a much lower AA. To get the lower AA the blank must flex deeper to make the curve less steep. When I say flex deeper I dont mean more. There are exceptions for instance CTS Vintage graphite fly blanks have a very slow action and the glass blank you refer too is very fast.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster