I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

5S76MLXF-G with micros help
Posted by: Ben Krakow (---.mdsnwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 09:10PM

I am building a rod for casting 1/8-3/16 oz. jigs with 4" ringworms for walleye while wading the river. I selected the blank, 7'6" ML XF St. Croix Legend Elite. I noticed that this is a new blank. I also noticed the tip is 3.5 and is smaller than the previous blanks of similar dimensions. Anyone know why this is? I was thought maybe a typo, but need to know for sure to get correct tip.

The reel I am using is Stradic ci4 2500 with 6 lb. fireline without leader.

I've spent all day looking at micro guides and have no idea what I want. My head is now spinning. I built a casting rod with all 3's on top and like that, but this will be my first spinning rod. I am looking for the lightest weight I can get with the guides as I am trying to balance the long blank as best as I can. Batson, Fuji, Pac Bay, Am Tackle... Someone Please help me decide what I want!!!

I occasionally fish some mornings where it's below freezing, but I'm not wanting the those few times to bother my guide selection. I am thinking 3.5 or maybe 4 for the running guides, unless anyone has better suggestions. Distance and sensitivity are my 2 key attributes that I am seeking. I have no idea what I need for butt, but saw some match guides that some people talked about.

While I'm at it, does anyone know what color thread St. Croix is using on their Legend Elite rods? I am gonna match them as I am having a hard time finding another color that I like as well.

Anything I left out to help you guys to help me, let me know!

Thanks,

Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2011 09:50PM by Ben Krakow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5S76MLXF-G with micros help
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 09:32PM

Your choker is the same as your runners. Several of us have been using braid on spinning rods using a BYAG-16J as the butt guide. I have two rods with BYAG-16J, BYAG-8J, a 5mm, then 3mm runners. I am using 10# Suffix and can throw a plastic practice plug 55 yds. This is my 8' Castaway 964 setup as a spinning rod for distance casting to shallow walleyes. You should be fine with those guides and 6# Fireline. If you're nervous about those choices you could go 20, 10, 5.

It should be a nice setup!

Chuck

Date: February 20, 2011 09:49PM

Ahh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean choker, I meant butt guide! Thanks for catching that! 16 is what I was hoping to start with, so I'm glad to see that recommended. For the price, what is my best option for guides? I could go with titanium fuji's but is there better options?

thanks,

Ben

Date: February 20, 2011 10:05PM

Anyone have any experience with the minima 4 line up? I'm thinking of trying the Match guides for my transition and using the fly guides in 3 to finish it out. I'm unsure of the tip top though. How do these compare in quality to other brands? Is there a better alternative to these? I don't have any experience with any other guides, so I appreciate any insight.

Date: February 20, 2011 10:13PM

TATSG Spinning Guides are another guide that intrigues me. Are they stable on a blank?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 12:53AM

Ben,
I have been using the minima 4 for a lot of builds and generally have been well pleased wiht the results.

With respect to the tip, I would likely use a size 4 tip of the appropriate ring size. I always wrap my tips, so in this case, I would put a layer of wrap starting at the tip and going down an inch to an inch and a half. If you use size A thread, the thickness of the thread is about right to increase the tip diameter from the 3.5 to 4. and the tip will fit great.

This is a very good way to size up the tip, when you don't have a guide that is a perfect fit on the tip, but you want the tip to work out for you. As a matter of fact, I have found that the tip actually gets a better grip on the tip, with the use on the internal wrap on the tip.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 09:52AM

If you want the lightest guides possible the Fuji LSG 3.5 gunsmoke SIC is hands down the smallest and lightest readily available, I have them on a spinning rod and they work great. The Minima #4 and M series transition guides are also a very good setup, I just did one for myself using#12 and #6 M series transitions and #4 fly for the runners. I found a tip that works well with the #4 Minima guides, the NCRLMT Nanolite ring, chrome frame AmTack micro tip. The #4 Nanolite ring has a pretty large ID that matches the Minima guides well and it gives you a ceramic ring at the tip where most of any wear you would get will occur.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 01:50PM

I'm really fond of the new Am Tack Artus micros. The weight difference from 3-4 isn't noticeable so to combat the freezing/icing factor go with the 4's.

Posted by: Ben Krakow (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 05:13PM

Excellent help guys!

Last question before I order my guides. I read that fly guides have a larger ID than spinning guides. So, how do the CF4CG Minima 4 Fly Guides size 4 compare to to Fuji LSG size 4? I'm talking ID between the 2. I'm just trying to see if I need to downsize the Minima fly guide to a 3 to match LSG size 4 ID, or if the size 4 Mimima is the best size?

I'm interested in Mike's setup using the Minima 4 guides. I was leaning that way, but wanted to make sure they were a quality setup for a higher end rod. I didn't know much about them previously so I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Also, any help on what color thread St. Croix uses? I might have to make a separate topic on this, so no worries if no one knows.

Thanks,

Ben

Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 10:45AM

Started a new thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2011 01:47PM by Pedro Gomez.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 01:04PM

Don't know about that no leader thing. I have 4 lb fireline I use for small fish and this stuff does not break. If you get hung up you may be cutting line off ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 22, 2011 04:57PM

Pedro, you can jump in on this thread too. Your question goes right along with my questions as well!

Bill, I meant that I don't tie on a fluoro leader. You are correct about not breaking. I pour my own jigs and use light wire hooks. When I hook up in the rocks I can wrap a wood dowel around the line and pull the hook straight to free my jig. I then just rebend my hood and go back to fishing!

Thanks,

Ben

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 06:42PM

If that blank is their forest green, an equivalent of Gudbrod olive with CP looks very good. It will be lighter than the blank, and really has a classy look.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster