I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Expo and the airport
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2011 05:26AM

In 2008 Tom suggested to all who were flying in to have the international cusotm rod builder symbol on their luggage. That way if we see some one with it we could share a cab to High Point.

Being somewhat of a country boy, what kind of a tip should you give a cabbie? I usally tell them to save their money and buy whiskey, it`s going to be a cold winter.
Although . They never seemed satisfied with that one .

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Expo and the airport
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: February 20, 2011 08:41AM

Cabbies are no different than any other service profession ... 10-25%.

The lower end of the scale if the cab is dirty, the attitude is bad, you lift your own baggage and the ride itself qualifies as a new "terror" experience. (btw, this guys name is Vlad and he drives a gypsy cap in Portland, Oregon).

The higher end of the scale if the opposite is true ... clean, friendly, helpful, safe and they offer information about the local area, provide a receipt and a business card.

Hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2011 08:42AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 10:43AM

Hey Bill, make sure you stop by The NERBs booth and introduce yourself, I am looking forward to meeting you in person, and introducing you to the rest of The NERBs that will be at the show.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 11:10AM

Bill E. - If you have loose change after the cabbie is through with you -

Spend time at the NERBS booth but DO Not Buy A Rolex from the guy wearing the funny colored shoes!

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 01:14PM

Bill, This time of year the normal tip would be: "Plant your corn early"!

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2011 03:34PM

Bill Stevens....Are you trying to tell me they have young good looking female cabbies?

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 07:47AM

Definitely try to find another builder or two to share cabfare, Bill: the cab ride to and from the airport for me last year was surprisingly expensive. I was thrilled when I got a plane ticket from Philly to Greensboro for about $100, and then groaned when two cab rides back and forth to the airport cost almost that much. Also be careful about when you're arriving: I got to the airport late, about 11.30 pm on Friday, and was stunned to find that virtually everything in the airport was closed and there wasn't a cab anywhere: the airport was a ghost town. I really had to scramble to find a shuttle to get to High Point, and to avoid spending the night in the airport.

In fact, if I had to do it over again, I would rent a car at the GSO airport. Renting a car for two days should be no more expensive than a cab ride back and forth, and having a car in High Point is a big plus, because there's very little within walking distance of the Rod Expo (and I spent hours, on foot, exploring the streets around the Expo, looking for stuff). The ICRBE is a great event, and the venue is terrific, but my one quibble about it, which I should stress is not a reflection on the organizers or on the show itself, is that the location is not very amenable to people who fly in, and who don't have a car while there. If you're by yourself, rent a car: you'll give yourself a lot more options in terms of activities and (especially) dining, and this will make the Expo a more enjoyable experience.

I just checked, and the charge with Enterprise to rent a car from 6.00 pm Friday to 5.00 pm Sunday is about $75. I won't be attending the Expo this year - couldn't find time - but the next time I go, I'll have a vehicle, one way or another. I'd suggest the same thing to anyone else who's going to the Expo alone, and especially going to the Expo for the first time.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 02:00PM

I travel a lot and cab tips are very much experience based. Let me have a good time in the cab and I tip well but let it miserable don't lokk for anything more than the fare.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster