I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Frustrated with lablels
Posted by: Gerald Guinn (---.knology.net)
Date: February 19, 2011 10:33PM

Producing a clean signature section is the most frustrating part of fly rod building. In seems that no matter how hard I try there is always some screwup that requires me to spend more time and effort to deal with than the entire rest of the rod. The latest one(s) is dealing with a bubble that always seems to present itself under the sticky back labels that rod manufacturers offer. Under the epoxy they appear as a white dot against the dark background color of the blank. Any suggestions as to how to avoid, or deal with, these would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Frustrated with lablels
Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 19, 2011 11:42PM

Gerald...it has been my experience over the years to lay down a coat of epoxy finish on the blank before applying the Decal. It sounds as though you have done the same...this is Good. More importantly i learned a Long time ago not to touch the underside of the Label with Anything!!! Not even my very expensive surgical tweezers. What i do is wear non powdered Surgical/ Examination gloves, then take a double edged Razor blade like the old Gillette, Shick, type your Dad used to use. Use the blade on it's Flat to gently lift one corner from the backing paper.Then using the gloved hand gently grasp the Decal on it's edge,top and bottom at the center of the Decal and gently center it on the Blank. Once centered start at one end of the Decal and gently press down and otherwise smooth out any air, working all the way down from one end to the other. i have found that if a part of my finger should come into contact with the underside it will not leave any type of mark or distort the sticky adhesive that will subsequently create a blemish. it is due to the Glove this does not happen. Even tweezers making slight contact will leave a bleamish in the adhesive, burnishing later will not remove it...trust me i have tried... I Hope this is of some help...im sure the other Lad's here have their own way that works well for them also. Cheers!!!....Wayne

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 02:36AM

not sure and don't want to know whose labels you use, but i can tell you that i almost always messed up labels. till i tried decal connections label (peel an stick) first one was perfect, no more ordering two to be safe.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2011 06:22AM

Jim,......I think he is talking of the ones offered from the manufacturers withthe rod data.

Gerald...... I too have trouble with these. I follow the directions using the masking tape to pull the front and the rear protective backing off. I start in the middle and burnish all the way and I still have bubbles.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 07:46AM

Check this video out. It should help Near the bottom of the page [www.mudhole.com]

They use masking tape ?? Maybe a clear scotch tape to see the decal better

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2011 08:11AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: February 20, 2011 09:28AM

And I thought only I had this problem because of my fat fingers

Posted by: Gerald Guinn (---.knology.net)
Date: February 23, 2011 11:59AM

Thanks guys. Decal Connection has been my fall back position. They now have gone away from waterslide, for some reason, and gone to a neat sticky back. I have not had any trouble with any of them so far, but I still miss the water slides which have the "thicknes of smoke". The sticky backs are considerably thicker requiring multiple coats of finish before the edges disappear, each coat adding the potential for sag, fisheyes, uneven leveling, etc requiring still another sanding and a followon coat..,

The exact problem I was referring to in my original post were bubbles that seem to appear under a decal, defying burnishing or pressure to eliminate. In fact, heavy burnishing can leave marks on the decal surface that show up as streaks under the finish.

When I become emperor my first act will be to require all manufacturers to use waterslide decals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster