I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I`m a little perplexed
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2011 02:37PM

I decided I was going to try selling some rods at a craft show in two weeks.( My wife seems to think I have too many) I have three rod racks I made which hold ten rods each and I was planning on having them in front of my tables so they would be easily accessible.

I am now told that nothing may be in front of any tables and we are not allowed to split the booth so people may come in between tables.

My next thought is to use a 2 X 10 board, drill 1 1/2`` holes and epoxy in a 6 inch piece of PVC pipe then clamp the pipe to the table and use that for a rod holder.

What would it take to drill 30 holes of that size in a 2 X 10 ?

Are there any other suggestions out there?

Thanks,

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I`m a little perplexed
Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 19, 2011 02:46PM

Bill...i would think a Hole saw would be your best bet, if you have a Drill press the Job will be made that much faster...by hand is fine as well after all the 2x10 is softwood, consequently the 1/ 2" Hole Saw will walk through the wood quite easily....Cheers!!!.....Wayne

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2011 02:55PM

Bill at craft shows presentation is 1/2 the battle the better the display the more people will gather,I do a considerable number of high end arts and crafts shows and a poor display turns people off so go with what looks best
the other 1/2 is closing the deal
John

Date: February 19, 2011 02:57PM

Doing a little more thinking, a hole saws o.d. is 1-1/2 inch while the 1-1/2 in. PVC has an o.d. greater than 1-1/2 inches. since it is measured by the i.d. (I think I have none here at home.)

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2011 03:07PM

Bill,

If the ID is 1 1/2", you could cut some 1 1/2" pucks from scrap wood. Then screw them to the 2x10 and glue the pvc and either slide or glue the pvc sections in place.

You don't need to sell of your rods, you just need more rod racks, so it looks like you don't have enough rods :)

Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 19, 2011 03:19PM

Another thought is go check out craigslist That site is a lot better the that other @#$%& site.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 19, 2011 03:38PM

That is good Joe!

When I was into shooting, I made a gun rack where the place for the gun was a separate "J'' and I was able to add one everytime I bought another gun. I did this under the pretense that if I always had an empty spot to put a gun she would never know I bought one as long as I added the extra set of "J`s". this worked real well for a while until they were close to the floor.

I tried this with the rod racks as I made them all the same. That became a problem when I ran out of wall space. LOL

Bill

ps. Missed you at breakfast. We will have one more before The Ohio Gathering. Have you figured away out of the wedding yet?

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2011 04:40PM

A spade bit will bore far more quickly and easily than a hole saw will.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2011 05:01PM

What Tom said. If you use a hole saw you will spend more time getting the scrap out of the saw that you would cutting.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2011 05:52PM

Any reason to not cut "Vee's" in that board? Any reason it's 2x10 and not 1x10?

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 19, 2011 07:56PM

Bill,

I've found that if you build a rod rack that will hold the rods horizontally, you'll get a lot more attention. I have two racks that hold 4 rods each and so I display 8 at a time. I've found that most people like to be able to look at the grips and then work their way down the rod without having to crane their neck to look up. It keeps the whole rod right near eye level- the most effective place.

I've taken a horizontal and a vertical rod holder to the same show. The rods on the horizontal rack got 90% of the attention. Just my 2 cents (not worth much!).

jeremy

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2011 07:59PM

Jeremy -
Yes! People tend to look left to right (as most of us were taught to read). Excellent marketing strategy .

Date: February 20, 2011 05:15AM

Tom........Geeee, I never thought of a spade bit. I was thinking of Joe`s idea and using the plug.

Ken.......I was thinking 2 X10 to add a litle stability towards the bottom of the rack, also as Joe said I could cut plugs from a 2X4 and screw them to the 2X10 with the PVC pipe screwed into the plugs This seemed pretty quick and easy. I don`t under stand the Vees.

Jeremy........ Great idea, I`m sure you`re correct on your theory displaying them horizontally. Unfortunealy I think that would take me the longest to make and the show is week after the ICRBE and I Don`t think I will have time.

Thanks for all of the ideas

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 08:05AM

What about a simple rectangle 2 buy 2's ?? How ever wide you need for the rods. Height for how many you need to hold.
Build it home. Drill holes for bolts and wing nuts for easy assembly. Put together and level the rods with some kind of hooks you can get at a home depot. Screw / nail the hooks on the uprights. When you get there bolt it together - hooks already on. Stand it up behind you table.
Lay the rods on the hooks horizontally. When some one wants to see one hand it to them ??

make braces for the corners so it does not fall over side ways - And make it free standing.

Then when you get back you can use the wood to - Plug Up - that window LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2011 08:07AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster