I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Big catfish blank
Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: February 17, 2011 06:32PM

Hi all

Can you give me some suggestions for building a heavy catfish rod?

Will be used in big rivers with heavy current. Fishing from boat mostly

6 to 61/2 ft. or would longer be better?
Also what guides would you use?
50 - 80 lb. test line
10 oz sinker tightlining
live bait
spinning reel set up yes spinning reel
Reel suggestions under 150$
80 - 100 lb. catfish

Thanks
Mike

Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Big catfish blank
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2011 07:28PM

i built one for a guide on Santee Cooper and used one of the mudhole value blanks. I was very pleased with the blank and results. I used a Heat shrink over some cord for the handle to hold up to rodholders and keep clean when using soemthing other than live bait. He regularly catches very large cats and i think he has the lake record close to 100lb. i like some of the live bait blanks as well for some catfish rods

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2011 05:33AM

Batson RCLB70-M 7 ft works very well for Striper chunking and Large Black Drum in the Delaware Bay with heavy current

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2011 05:33AM

Batson RCLB70-M 7 ft works very well for Striper chunking and Large Black Drum in the Delaware Bay with heavy current

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 18, 2011 11:08AM

I agree with Barry. That's the one I would build on. I have built a bunch of Cat Rods on that blank.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Andy Wolfram (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 18, 2011 02:03PM

+2 on the RCLB line

Andy Wolfram
Sales Associate
Midwest Rod & Reel
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Bryan Sirotkin (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2011 11:12PM

I like the Mudhole E-glass blanks, but I've found the Gator glass Blanks are also really nice and feel a bit under rated for lines as well.

I fish w/ mine on the potomac and found that a rod in the 7- 7.5 ft range gave the flexibility to fish from the boat and also take them to shore and fish. The longer rods aid in casting accuracy, and help keep line off the water.

For guides, I'd go with the ones rated for braid... there are a lot of options and I don't use braid, so it's not as important... I do like the titanium oxide's though they are a little expensive sometimes.

Posted by: Bryan Sirotkin (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2011 12:46AM

Oh and for a reel... Abu's 7000, 9000, or 10,000's are hard to beat. They are a little more then $150 (at around 165-170 usually, but you can find used for less), hold enough line, esp when your using braid.

Posted by: matt willey (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 04:08PM

to give a blank I need know if your fishing for blues or flathead braided line or mono and if your going to use circle hooks and if you are going to set the hook

Posted by: marco bohrer (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 04:24AM

Hi,Mike!
We Fishing in Germany with Rods between 8 and 10 feet for boat fishing but i think the optimal size is an 9 feet rod with an casting weight from 10 to12 oz..
You can youse it from Boat and Bank,we fish lines in the100lBs class and caught with this combination Catsfishes over 200lBs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster