I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alconites for 4 weight: does this set sound right?
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 15, 2011 08:32PM

Hello all,

I would like to build a 9 foot four weight and was planning on using Fuji Alconites for the guides. Not sure if this matters for the guide sequence but the rod would be used 90% of the time for nymph fishing with an indicator.

What I was thinking of was the following:
SV 16,
SV 10
Blag 6
Blag 4.5 for the rest.

Does this sound about right? Any alternative suggestions would be welcome.

thanks,
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alconites for 4 weight: does this set sound right?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2011 08:39PM

It will work fine, but you can drop the 6 and go right on to the 4.5's if you want. Putting more guide sizes actually makes a less straight line path.

Posted by: Marc Locke (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 08:44PM

For a 4wt rod, I never go bigger than a sz 12 stripping guide. I personally use a size 10 most often. I have experimented a lot with different ceramic guides on my 4wts over the past few years. For Fuji Alconites, I would never use anything smaller than a size 6 blag. I have tried size 5's before and the line does not flow as smoothly as with a size 6 guide and top. I have actually started to prefer size 7 running guides and tops more and more. There is a noticeable real world difference in my experience between the 6's and 7's if you are wanting to shoot a lot of line in colder weather.

I also find that if you just put alconites on the lower half and use size 2 SF lite wire guides and size 7 alconite top in the upper sections, the performance is about the same as all ceramics, with a crisper recovery rate. I do size 10, 10, 8, 8, 7 a lot on my 4wt builds and people love the way they fish.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 10:21PM

I would never go any bigger than a 10 on a 4wt build either. Only time I use a 16, is on my 7/8 or bigger builds.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 11:12PM

Why ceramic insert guides on a light fly rod for nymphing? Not shooting lots of line, basically lobbing an indicator. Single foot wire guides would reduce the weight and serve the purpose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 11:35PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 15, 2011 11:42PM

Thanks for all the input.

In light of the suggestions, i'll change the guide set-up and will switch to a size 10 for a stripper guide and try the single foot wire guides,

In retrospect that makes sense. As Phil points out, I am basically lobbing an indicator and am trying to keep the weight low.

Could anyone let me know the smallest size single foot wire guides to use? I'm not very familiar with the sizing.

thanks,

Tom.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2011 07:10AM

It all depends on how big your knots/connections are. Size 1 in a single foot will probably work fine for a loop to loop. How long of a leader will you use? Will you need to pass the connection to retrieve a fish or just when stringing-up at the start of the day? If I had to pass a connection, while fighting a fish, I would probably step up a size 2. On the other hand, if you use a really small nail knot, you might get by with a 1/0 or 2/0.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2011 12:05PM

I would go with the #2 single foot in light wire this allows for a little more knot clearance and the weight difference between the two is so minimal as to be un-noticeable.

I have found the Baston guides so well finished they need almost no prep at all.

Posted by: Bob Hallowell (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2011 07:37AM

I built a 10ft 3wt nymphing stick a little bit ago and used the Minima size 4 and love it. very light.

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster