I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCS Question
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 15, 2011 06:39PM

A month ago I did a build and got a DBI of 16/77 and a URRS of 16/8/35 for a particular blank.

Today I'm starting a new build on a new blank of the same model but got a DBI of 19/76 and a URRS of 19/9/47.

I used the same process but the resulting measurements are somewhat different. I've measured a bunch of blanks but this is the first time I've measured different blanks of the same model. I would expect perhaps some small variation in the numbers, i.e. the AA is 77 and 76. But the ERN and PR are quite a bit different. I build on the straightest axis so when I measure the bow is down and the ends are up.

Is this common for blanks of the same model? Would I accept the most recent measurements for that model going forward when recommending a blank to a customer or would it be better to average out the measurements. In this case an ERN of 17 or 18 and a power reserve of 41?

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCS Question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2011 06:50PM

Assuming you were diligent in your measurements, and it sounds like you were, then there are a couple of possibilities. First, the manufacturer may have changed that model's target specs. It happens. The makers are always trying to improve product by tweaks and upgrades. That could be the case here. Then, there is always the case that one or the other blank was mis-bagged/mis-labeled. Or, the maker trimmed it improperly from the mandrel. A half inch this way or the other can make a huge difference in power and action.

Rod blanks are not precision machined items. There's a great deal of hand labor involved from lay-up, to trimming to sanding. It would be rare to have all blanks of a specific model come out identical, although with good quality control they'll be fairly close.

Date: February 15, 2011 07:00PM

Thanks for the quick reply Tom.

My main reason for doing these measurements is to recommend a blank for a customer who brings me one of their existing rods and wants something faster/slower or heavier/lighter than what they bring in. I suppose averaging the numbers may help me get closest to what they're looking for...then I can adjust from there.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2011 07:07PM

I understand. The measurements are what they are - you can't fool the CCS any more than you can fool a tape measure, so you'll have to try and figure out why there is so much difference between those blanks. I'd talk to the manufacturer and ask if they've made any changes to that model.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 07:11PM

Chad, I use blank measurements along with this to visually show customers blank characteristics - [www.backlashtools.com]

Chuck

(Actually, I built my own before this came to market)

Date: February 15, 2011 07:47PM

Chuck, that tool would really fit the bill for what I'd like to do. Thanks for letting me know about it!

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster