I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon fiber grip question
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 02:43PM

I haven't built one of these yet but I've been doing my research.

When I turn wooden grips I leave a 3/4" diameter recess in the end of the butt grip...perhaps two to three times the depth of a penny. I use 3/4" because that is the exact diameter of a penny. I can then use a penny as an inlay or glue some type of graphic onto the penny.

If I want to continue to use a penny and that same 3/4" diameter inlay...how much wider will I need to bore the recess to account for the carbon fiber which is twisted and tucked into the bore?

Hope I've described this clearly enough.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon fiber grip question
Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 15, 2011 03:44PM

You probably wouldn’t like the results of trying to do a carbon grip the way you describe. They don’t like to make sharp corners. I have developed my techniques to take advantage of the good properties of the carbon fiber grips and eliminate the problems I really like the results and use these grips almost exclusively, but it did take some tinkering at first.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2011 03:48PM

i wouldn't think you need any more room because it is carbon. i would recommend that if this is for the butt and the butt of the rod will likely be sitting on the ground that something to better protect the handle would be better. i have found panel fasteners for cars work very well, are very light, give a clean look, and protect well

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 03:54PM

john timberlake Wrote:
- i have found
> panel fasteners for cars work very well, are very
> light, give a clean look, and protect well"

Something else I never even considered! Why I LOVE this site

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2011 05:42PM

Once the CF is wetted out and cured, it becomes quite hard. You would have no trouble just boring into the CF and underlying foam core and inletting a coin. The only possible problem I can foresee would be the edges of the bored through CF. You might do a trial run and see how that looks. I suspect your coin would cover or meet that edge and then your fill coating could round over and protect that edge.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 08:07PM

I have been successful boring clean edge recesses for reel seats using a Forstner bit. ( 3/4" & 13/16") It must be sharp and the carbon fiber should be well covered withe epoxy. The challenge is centering the bit for boring the recess! I have developed a method that works well for me using a wooden dowel the size of the original grip bore, with the dowel end indented to accept the center spike of the fFrstner. I then clamp the grip stationary and drill with the bit using a cordless drill. After some trial and error, I now get good clean, centered recesses. Hope this is clear and helps.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: February 15, 2011 10:56PM

Ken Preston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> john timberlake Wrote:
> - i have found
> > panel fasteners for cars work very well, are
> very
> > light, give a clean look, and protect well"
>
>
>
> Something else I never even considered! Why I
> LOVE this site

The panel fasteners work great on rods that have a threaded insert for a balance kit when you don’t want any weight, even the weight of the screw in bumper. You just push the panel fastener into the insert and it closes off the end nice and clean, it can be removed easy it you want to add the weights at a later time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster