I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod
Posted by: stanford yerger (---.syrcny.btas.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 01:58PM

I would like to build an 8’, 4wt fly rod “fast action”, 2 pc.
So looking at the folks on the left I found some listed with those
numbers. IV’s. So I look in CC data sheet and find that the data
is different? So I call the company , no comment!
I have found that the last rods that I have built where all over wt.
and lower action!! So what do you folks do when you want to built
an 8ft 4wt fast action fly rod.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Stan yerger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2011 05:32PM

They're not "over weight" nor "lower action." The CCS terms do not translate into the subjective terms used by the manufacturers so it doesn't fly in the face of the manufacturer's opinion.

Remember, any fly rod will cast any line at some distance. What you term "over weight" were likely rods intended to cast a long length of the listed line than you were attempting to cast.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2011 02:53AM

Check out the Dan Craft FT series of rods listed on the CCS board. They seem to have the fastest action of all entries. While I myself have never built on one they have received rave reviews on this forum from many builders.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2011 07:01AM

From all the fly rod blanks I've seen / held the Dan Craft models are the "crispest" / "fastest"

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 16, 2011 04:11PM

The fastest fly blankk I have found is the CTS Affinity-X. And - very light in the hand.
I just built a #7 and it needs a #9 line to load it.
But I like to overload a rod - just feels better to me. A friend loads the #7 with a #8 line.
The #4 would be interesting - you might need a #5 line to load it.

I just ordered a #6 for a #7 line.
Herb

Posted by: Alan Yuodsnukis (---.hsd1.me.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2011 08:16PM

Is a 7 weight rod that "needs" an 8 or 9 weight line to load really a 7 weight? Is a 4 that needs a 5 weight line to fish at reasonable distances still a 4 weight?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 16, 2011 10:15PM

Alan,
There are those that can accelerate a rod such that they can load it. I can't - so I have to overline. But I know what you mean. The "X" line is not new to CTS - there are those that use it as labeled.
Herb

Posted by: John Straight (---.netsync.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 02:17PM

Stanford,

If your still looking take a peek at Batson's RX8. This the fastest blank I have ever built on.

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster