I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Industrial sewing thread stand for wrapping:
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 09:24AM

If you happen to have a bulk spool of th read and a stand alone tension device, and don't want to respool thread to a smaller spool, the following thread stand is a nice thing to use to hold the thread and allow the thread to spool nicely off of th e top of the spool:

[www.allstitch.net]

I had run out of thread a while ago, purchased a bulk spool of thread and had respooled a small spool to fit on my tension rack.
When the small spool went empty again, I happened to glance up and I noticed that I had this thread stand sitting on the back of my bench.

I also do custom sewing and I had picked up a few of these thread stands to go with one of my machines.

I put it to work and it works fine to direct the thread off of the spool, and into my thread tension device that I use for wrapping.

Obviously, if you use a spool mounted thread tension device, this would not be useful for you.

But the nice thing about using this device, for that color that you use all of the time for the bulk of your wraps, you don't have to respool your thread, and it may reduce line twist.

One other thing about my wrapping setup, is that I tend to leave my thread and tools stationary, and I move the rod past my wrapping station, rather than moving my self, tools and thread up and down the rod.
If you moved up and down the rod, and if you wanted to use such a thread stand, you would want to mount an extension on your tension device, so that the thread would easily move with the tension device.

------------
Incidentally, it might make an interesting test to
a. spool thread off of the top of the bulk spool using the afore mentioned thread stand to respool the thread onto a smaller spool for mounting on a thread tension stand, and to
b. spool thread off of the side of the bulk spool using a simple rod to contain the bulk spool.

Then, use the refilled small spool to wrap a bunch of rods. When doing the wrapping, make note of whether you experience more or less line twists by respooling off of the top of the bulk spool, or respooling off of the side of the spool.
I would be inclined to think that one would get fewer twists if one respooled off of the side of the bulk spool, but I won't know for sure unless I test the thread after doing it both ways.

Take care
Roger

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 09:29AM by roger wilson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Industrial sewing thread stand for wrapping:
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 15, 2011 09:38AM

Nice idea Roger. Wish i had the space to move my rod up and down rather than me and my spools of thread. But an up to 9 ft rod would need more than a 13 ft long wrapping room. I even have to flip my rods end over end often during wraps.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 02:17PM

Lou, why do you have to flip the rod over?

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 16, 2011 09:03AM

Billy, because the one side of my winding area/room also contains my desk with the computer and a 5 drawer file cabinet (UPS power dictates this) . The rod can get in there but not me: I am 6 ft 3 and 230 lbs and do not get into small spaces very well. The end of teh rod is in a sort of panhandle if that is a better explanation?
So i normally place the butt that end but when i have thread work to do at the end of a 9 ft sea rod, it needs to get turned.
I laid my room out when 90% of what i made was travel rods and the pieces were no longer than 3 ft each!
I am just glad its indoors, until beginning of last year it was all in the garage. mama is now more tolerant of the stuff in the house:)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster