I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wheel / Roller
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 14, 2011 06:16AM

Looking for a source that has a good selection of wheel/rollers like what is on the bottom of the thread carriage of the Pac Bay wrapper. Or, does Pac Bay sell them seperately?
Thanks.
Greg Marshall

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wheel / Roller
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 12:21PM

Ask Pac Bay.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 12:35PM

Greg,
In the pac bay catalog, the roller is listed as part # RW-roller.

Another source for rollers:
[www.glassdistributorsinc.com]

Or you can go with a plain bearing, and simply put an O ring on the outside of the bearing for blank protection:

[www.vxb.com]

I have built a bunch of rod rests, using skate board wheel ball bearings. These are high quality bearings at very inexpensive prices.
For a wrapper, which doesn't spin fast, you can just use ball bearings, with no rubber on the outside of the bearings. If you use them for a lathe application, then you need to protect the blank with a turn or two of masking tape, or the high speed will mar the blank finish.

Or you could contact thse folks and specify the bearings that you want to have, with a rubber coating applied to the bearings for a permenant installation and blank protection.

[www.circulartech.com]

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 14, 2011 03:14PM

Roger,
Those are the kind that go on the rod holder. I'm looking for the kind that goes on the bottom of the thread carriage that fits into the track that it glides on.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 03:46PM

Greg
I measured the ones on the new PacBay thread carriage. They are an "odd size" 20.28mm diameter and 5.50 thickness / or .797 inches x .217 inches. I think PacBay may be your best source

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 12:05AM

Greg,
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
If this is a ball bearing, just take the bearing to a bearing supply house and have them supply the necessary bearings.
Any good bearing house will be able to supply literally any bearing that you might have - you may have to have it special ordered, but they will be able to get it for you.

I know that in my area, there are numberous bearing supply houses within driving distance.

The pac bay number for these rollers is:

RW-1/ Mtlroller

Good luck
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster