I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Trolling Rod Recommendation
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 07:27PM

I talked to a guide this afternoon that is looking for a specific rod that he can't find in a store. I don't know much about trolling so I need some help. Here are his requirements:

The rod will be used for planer board trolling for walleyes.
Length: 6'6" to 7'
Line: 14lb
Action: He wants something that has enough backbone to break the rubber bands he's using. He says he cannot find the right factory rod that has a great action for trolling and yet has enough backbone to break the rubber bands without a big hassle. He says all of the rods he has tried don't have the backbone he wants. He'd also like the rod to have a fast tip...

Like I said, I don't to much at all about trolling, most of my clients have been bass fishermen.

Any suggestions for blanks?

Thanks,
jeremy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2011 07:28PM by Jeremy Wagner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Trolling Rod Recommendation
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 08:05PM

Not to shorten the discussion or stop any sales but
I think the problem may be with the rubber bands he's trying to break and not the rod he believes he needs. Here are a couple of URL hints on this
technique.....

[www.northcarolinasportsman.com]
[www.weldontackle.com]

knicking the rubber band or leaving it out in the sun for a day will also weaken them

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 11:53PM

Jeremy, the nice thing about trolling rods is that there are lots of blanks out there for the application. The best ones in my opinion are the ones made of fiberglass. I have several of them in different lengths that were built out of old school blanks that were around for years. Several of the sponsors on here carry blanks that will be perfect for your build. Mine were so old of blanks i couldn't even discern the model or maker. Maybe someone has some CCS info on some of them. I don't think i kept any records on the ones I built. i would recommend that you try and convince your customer to go with a spiral wrap, In my opinion, it's the best thing going for the board applications. Also you might just check out what the box stores have to give you an idea of a possible blank to purchase. Since they are very utilitarian tools, when I built mine I painted some of them in different colors to get the paint experience, they turned out very nice and have held up well over the years. something along the lines of a shakespere ugly stick would probably be a nice one, I'm bettin some of the sponsors here have something similar, Good luck and have fun with the build.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 08:42AM

Look at the Batson RDR70M.
7' long, fibreglass at the upper end blending into graphite at the butt.
Moderate action tip area, with backbone from the graphite blend below.
Fairly light in the hand, yet durable in a rod holder.
Here is a link:
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2011 10:48AM

Jeremy,
the CB783-Blend or CB843-Blend in the MHX lineup would fit this application nicely.

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 01:32PM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Ken,
That's exactly what I was thinking...wouldn't it be cheaper to modify the rubber bands?

I'll be checking out the suggestions.

jeremy

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 03:13PM

Jeremy -
One trick that the captains here do is to twist the rubber band (3 to 5 times) - not sure exactly why but they snap much easier. Sorry I can't help you with trolling for walleyes as I've never done that. How hard they hit / how hard they "fight" is going to have a lot to do with the blank. For planers, planing boards and outriggers for saltwater fish about the same size the fellows around here use mostly composite rods. A rod that the tip can be loaded down to where the power kicks in that way when a fish hits the power area of the rod is sufficient to snap the rubber band - in other words the tip is bent down pretty good (through the two 1/3) when the lines are set.

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: February 14, 2011 05:27PM

I agree with many of the comments on breaking the rubber bands. Another trick I use to break my bands (small reds) is to reel down and take up the slack, pointing the tip directly at the release clip. Give a sharp slap to the butt of the rod handle, the rubber band will either break or pull free from the release. My suspicion is that he is Roland Martin jerking at the releases and the mono line he is using is taking up all the power he is trying to put to the rubber bands. Anyways, the MHX blanks that Todd suggested are very good choices. Like others have said, it is mostly in his rubber band choice and release setup, along with his technique, that is giving him fits. The last few years on Saginaw Bay, the fish have been running around 2-5 lbs, with the occasional pig thrown in. Most of these fish won't pull the rubber band from the release on the strike and will need help like he is obviously experiencing. The simple butt slap works like a charm and eliminates excited customers and captains from whacking the rods on the fly bridge after a Roland Martin. Off topic-why do we dall it a Roland Martin, msot of the TV show bass guys do the exagerated jerks LOL? It is the first thing I show guests aboard my boat when trolling for walleye, saves lots of parts and cause for frustration.

Posted by: Clyde Hunt (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 09:43PM

Ken Preston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to shorten the discussion or stop any sales
> but
> I think the problem may be with the rubber bands
> he's trying to break and not the rod he believes
> he needs. Here are a couple of URL hints on this
> technique.....
>
> [www.northcarolinasportsman.com]?
> id=1091
> [www.weldontackle.com]
> er_bands.html
>
> knicking the rubber band or leaving it out in the
> sun for a day will also weaken them

I agree. I have have problem breaking rubber bands with #50 tackle sometime. Change the rubber bands or go to release clips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster