I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Blank
Posted by: Bryan McPherson (---.mcn.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 12:30PM

I need help making a decesion on a good fly blank for bluegill fishing on small rivers, right now I am using a g loomis 4wt but i want to build someting of my own. Do you guys have any suggestions on a decent blank, reel seat, guides, etc, that would foot the bill without breaking the bank? All suggestions are welcome but just so you know sage and loomis are out of my budget. Also I am not sure if i need to step up to a 5wt are keep to a 4wt, also the loomis i am using is 7'6 so its short not sure if length would be a good thing,

Has anyone tried the new mudhole MHX 4 piece blanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 12:32PM by Bryan McPherson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Blank
Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.79.54.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 01:14PM

Bryan,
My favorite bluegill rods are 8' 4 and 5 weights.
If you want to cast poppers the 5 is a little better choice in a light breeze.
St Croix has a 42F805.2 or the 2F805.2
Looks like the 8' length has become harder to find over the last several years.
If you go to 9' the options improve a great deal, but you have to handle a longer rod.
At first glance the MHX 904 and 905 appear as good candidates but I haven't cast one yet.
Additionally look at the Cabela's PT+ 905

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 01:23PM

The MHX are very good blanks. I have built and fished them and like them a lot. Batson also has very fine blanks! Can't go wrong with either one!!

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 02:38PM

I second the Batson blanks, they have a very wide variety and the areexcellent to fish with.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Matthew Elrod (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 06:57PM

If you have not ventured into the 'glass arena, I would recommend you take a glance. They make bluegill fishing so much fun. Lamiglas makes a very reasonably-priced glass blank, and they are quite tough as well.

Matthew Elrod
www.ElrodCustomRods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: February 12, 2011 07:39PM

I use a St Croix 42F764 ... IMO, a great little bluegill rod, especiallly for river fishing.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 08:03PM

If that is all you catch - Try a 2 wt - A lot more fun fast action.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: February 12, 2011 08:20PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If that is all you catch - Try a 2 wt - A lot more
> fun fast action.

Pound for pound, I don't know if ANYTHING fights harder. A 2wt would be underpowered IMO ... unless these are some mighty small bluegill.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 08:31PM

Yes they are - fighters - but that is what it is all about Usually smaller then trout.

Play when they hit. That is the whole idea --- Unless you want to just - Hale them in .

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 09:15PM

Batson IF804 8' 4 weight is one of my favorite bluegill rods.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 02:06AM

Greg I agree on your chosen Batson blank. Never fished Blue Gill But that blank makes a great Cutthroat and Brown Fly Rod

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bryan McPherson (---.mcn.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 04:05PM

Thanks guys one more question, on the mhx blanks is a 4wt a 4wt line I ask this because i know people seem to think that the numbering system is off, so will a 4wt line cast well on the mhx 4wt blank

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2011 07:08PM

there are plenty of nice blanks out there....take a good look at how you are fishing, where you are fishing, what wt do you need for the flies used,, length, etc. i have seen some people want a 2wt, but then aren't happy when it can't throw the flies they want to use(mostly poppers)...just make sure you know what you want unless you want another excuse to build more rods then make as many different ones as you want

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 10:53PM

Take a look at the CCS data on Mudholes MHX web page. It looks like the 8' 4 wt is a little more moderate action and less powerful than the 9' 4wt, so you might want to upline the 9' for fishing in close if that's your choice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster