I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrap Spacing
Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: February 11, 2011 01:09PM

Hello,

Did my first scale wrap and when I got to the end I noticed my spacing was off. Where I had enough room to fit 3-4 threads in some places on the wrap, it would taper to no room it other places. I went with a 1/2" between cross points for the base cross. I packed after every layer. Still I had some variances in space on the wrap.

Do I just need to sit with it and push all the threads until I get uniformity or is there a spacing rule I didnt follow? I used the scale tutorial on rodbuildingtutorials.com - 1,1-1,2-1,3 and so on. After 1,8 is where I rant into trouble.

Any help on spacing for certain wraps would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Oh, performed a search for "wrap spacing" and didnt find anything. Sorry if this is a redundant question.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrap Spacing
Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 01:21PM

Adam,

We have all run into the same issues at the beginning. The only suggestion I can give is lay out your pattern and double and tripple check your spacing measurements. It seems that the smaller in diameter the blank the more precise you have to be. Trust me it only get better with time.

tight lines,

john

Date: February 11, 2011 01:27PM

When you say to check spacing measurements are you taking the diameter of the thread and finding out how many threads you can fit into the space between cross points?

For instance 1/2" between cross points - thread size .008" = 62.5 threads.

I naively thought it would just come together.....

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 01:48PM

Adam try doing a search here for "Taper Off Set" and 'all dates' . There are a couple of good strings that may help you

Date: February 11, 2011 02:00PM

Thank you!

Date: February 11, 2011 02:12PM

Reviewed the links in the search quarry. Still a little confused. I'm laying down my passes with multiple threads. Except for the 1 (scale color thread). Even the 8 pass of filler I did with (2) passes of 4 threads.

Quite possibly my layout of the 1/2" markers was off?

I also did not pay attention the spacing as I was wrapping. I focused 100% on packing the threads tightly.

In my frustration I wrapped over on some areas. I read in one link Billy V talks about doing this.

Anything else? Other than time, time, and more time?

Thank you!

Date: February 11, 2011 02:13PM

Overall the best "tool" for spacing and off sets is contained in the Visual Wrap program. If you're planning to do a lot of wraps - especially closed wraps it's worth the $$

Date: February 11, 2011 02:18PM

I understand.

One last question.

I know spacing helps to make a pattern look uniform but is it the "closed" part of certain wraps that makes the spacing so much more important? Sounds like anything past a chevron calls for this?

Adam-

Date: February 11, 2011 02:28PM

Yes, your initial layout was "off" a little - how much depends on the taper of the blank from butt towards the tip. One thing you can try is to NOT wrap 4 threads at a time. Multiple threads certainly closes the pattern faster but also means packing becomes "looser" (potential for gaps at the cross-over points). One other thing you can try if you are wrapping 2, 3, 4 threads at a time (which is a little "tricky" ) is to drop a thread when the pattern gets too tight to pack in additional threads. That is take the outside thread and wrap it back underneath the inner threads. Be forewarned that there is an inherent danger that the outside thread will loosen if you don't drop and under wrap it sufficiently "deep" under what will be the overlocking threads - so you have to plan in advance for the "drop". In effect you are taking a trim band technique and adapting it to completing a cross wrap.

Date: February 11, 2011 02:35PM

Yes - on Closed wraps the spacing is important. Cross wraps, chevrons, diamonds can all be kept "open" and will look fine. I think the common term for this look is "compressed" spacing.

Date: February 11, 2011 03:02PM

Thank you Ken!

You've helped greatly! Filled in the blanks for me!

Date: February 11, 2011 03:07PM

Glad it helped you. Now GET BACK TO WORK!

Date: February 11, 2011 03:22PM

Ha!

I'd hate to admit how much time I spend at the photo gallery of this website........

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 07:11PM

As you're packing make sure you check the alignment of your crossover points; they should run straight along the long axis of the blank. I have a tendancy to push the crossover points to the right and doing this on one pattern leaves a bigger gap on one side than the other. Even if you could be consistent with always pushing the same amount to one side you would end up with more gap on the up-wrap than the down-wrap or visa versa. I'll periodically stretch a thread across the patterns to check that they're straight and will eyeball the un-wrapped gaps to ensure uniformity.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 12:11AM

Thank you James!

I'll take note to check as I go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster