I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod for panfish
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 12:36PM

Afternoon gentleman,

Ok, I am a little out of my comfort area as I typically build panfish and bass rods. I haven't done too much with fly rods and during my recent move to NC I broke my coveted HMG....... Oh well not the end of the world, I can repair it and put it up on the wall.. My question now is what is a good 8-9ft 4-5wt for pond panfish? I will typically throw mostly dry flies and the occaional size 12 popper... mostly black gnats and some misquito's.(none smaller than a size 14).. I like to use a floating line and normally by double tapers since when one end wears out I can flip it around and use the other side... I am not looking to get extravagent and really don't wont to get over 100.00 for a blank. I will pick this up a the show (along with the ton of other stuff I need for the year.) Fly line suggestions for it also if you have them as I will need a new line for the rod.

thanks for your insight and suggestions,

Tom Kaufmann

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 12:37PM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod for panfish
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 12:50PM

I have been VERY impressed with the MHX blanks from MudHole . They'll be at the show and will likely have an extensive selection from which to choose.

Date: February 10, 2011 12:58PM

Ken, I have use a BUNCH of them... mostlt the MB lineup and and recently the S781's my clients LOVE them and I too have been pleased... I didn't even think of em to be honest.

Tom

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2011 01:15PM

This may be out of your hoped for price range (I don't want to assume, however) but the new St. Croix SCIV/SCIII combo blanks have very fast tips. In a 4-weight you'd have a pretty fun rod due to the extra leverage you're handing the fish in that length and action.

Date: February 10, 2011 01:21PM

Tom,

Funny you should mention those, I was just looking at them...Hopefully they will be at the show as I would really like to get my hands one one. The price range isn't set in stone but I don't want to get overly crazy with it.

Date: February 10, 2011 01:31PM

There should be plenty of them there, along with most other popular fly blanks. I'm sure you can find something that'll suit you.

Posted by: Garry Hall (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 03:11PM

The TFO professional series or even finesse series could be good options as well.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: February 10, 2011 05:01PM

I second the St Croix 4/2 fly series. I have a 7'6", 4-weight, 4-piece that is ideal for ponds, rivers, etc. I like the shorter length, but it is available in longer models. IMO, it is a vastly overlooked series of blanks ... the price tag is NOT indicative of the actual quality within.

Date: February 10, 2011 05:41PM

Jim,

My Fenwick was a 7'6" 4-weight so I am definately not against this length... obviously on ponds lengthy casts really aren't a huge priority for bluegills and the occasional crappie I have put one on the list to put in hand.... I thought that by going with a little longer length I might open up the options.

Tom

Date: February 10, 2011 05:58PM

It should. Push on to 8 or 8'6" and have more fun at the same time. A long rod means the fish can fight you harder.

Posted by: Karen Hapka - Bingham Ent. (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 06:31PM

Don't forget to check out the new North Fork Composites fly blank model # CTF 905-2. Stop by my booth at the ICRBE to check it out.

See you in High Point

Karen
Bingham Enterprises

Date: February 10, 2011 06:54PM

Sounds great Tom,

I will look in the longer ranges as well..... might just have to get one longer one and a shorter one.... can you ever have enough?

Tom

Date: February 10, 2011 06:56PM

Karen,

look forward to seeing you again this year.. I will definately check it out.

Tom

Posted by: Jon Bial (209.34.157.---)
Date: February 11, 2011 01:50PM

Karen, I'd say the CTF 864 might be the stick. I'll have some made up for casting at the show, so have your customers bring their reels and lines.

Date: February 11, 2011 07:41PM

Karen,

Could I ask that you bring one of the CTF 864's with you when you pack up ??

Thanks,
Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster