I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Sizing?
Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 09:02AM

I have been trying to determine how to measure a blank for exposed blank casting reel seats. If a reel seat is 12.5 mm, where is that diameter? Butt end? Middle? Front of reel seat?

I have a couple of blanks that I want to buy reel seats to build the rod. I don't have a supply of various sized seats to try. I would like to use my calipers and measure some distance from the end of the blank.

I guess the real question is "Are blank exposed casting seats tapered, or are they uniform diameter throughout the length of the reel seat" ?

Does it vary by manufacturer?

Any tips or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bert Nagy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Sizing?
Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 09, 2011 09:17AM

They are tapered since the molds to produce the seats have to have draft on them to be able to pull the parts. In most cases the draft on the seats, probably 1 or 2 deg on a side is less than the taper of the blank, although blank taper varies drastically in the reel seat area. If you don’t have a selection of seat sizes your best bet is to measure at the back end of where the seat will go, order a seat 1mm smaller and ream it to final size. In most cases you can get a better fit by reaming the seat than you do with just installing the correct size seat anyway.

Posted by: Bob Pratt (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 09:55AM

If you are looking at the Pac Bay Minima seat then you have to know where the seat will set (sit, set, sat pick one) and order the one that fits your blank. The fixed hood is the end that you need to figure where it will set. The threaded end only comes in one size if I'm reading the information at Pac Bay right and that's 15.5mm ID. The fixed hood comes in 9.5mm to 15.5mm. I haven't installed one yet myself but just ordered this morning from MudHold all the fixings to do a minima seat and a split butt on a Batson/Rainshadow RX7 IP842.
Someone a couple of weeks ago wrote a post/reply on how to locate where to fix the split seat and how figure the split on the split butt. It went something along the lines of do this then do that and the seat and split butt with then be determined automatically. I searched for days on end for that post to no avail. Who ever posted it please direct me to it and I will be in your debt forever. Or at least until next week sometime.
Bob
PS if none of the stuff I ordered fits then it goes in the drawer with all the other stuff that didn't fit. Someday I'll buy a blank that fits all that stuff and build a nice rod.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: February 09, 2011 01:19PM

I've used this in the past and it has worked great. This was a reccomendation for Batson reel seats.

When ordering the correct size, most casting reel seats
are mounted at about 10” from the rod butt, and the
blank tapers about .040” in the first 10”. Subtract .040”
from the butt size inch listed in the catalog. For
ordering purposes order one size up and one size down
to make a sure fit.
EXAMPLE: Rod butt size .493”
Subtract - .040
.453 = HK 610 C

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 02:56PM

I always have the seat fit about 2" above where it is going to rest. Then ream to fit . Reaming also scratches the inside of the seat for a better bond.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 09, 2011 04:41PM

reaming can also cause the seat to scratch the finish on some blanks. you can end up with a a really ugly exposed section. just varies on the blank finish and how roughed up the inside of the seat is.

-----------------
AD

Date: February 09, 2011 10:20PM

never had that happen to me. I make them snug not real tight.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 10, 2011 10:18AM

Alex, i had that happen with scratching too on a very nice St Croix.
Kind of annoying to say the least.
I now keep one of those gator Glass blanks that feel like sandpaper around as a sort of reamer. They taper from about 1/4 at the tip to almost an inch at the butt, after the reaming to fit i first run the seats over the gator Glass blank and that gets most burrs and pieces of grit out of the seats.
Its not rough enough to ream, but enough to move burrs if that makes sense.

Date: February 10, 2011 11:40AM

If you used the glue on - grit - to make your reamers that is why. I make mine from the tape strips from Mud Hole. No grit to come off in a seat or handle.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 10, 2011 04:54PM

Bill - that can happen with sandpaper reamers also. Trust me... some of these finishes aren't real durable when you start twisting a reel seat on and it's nothing more than a little snug.

Sure you can correct it by smoothing out the inside - but for someone learning, I;d like to save them the agony of screwing up a blank and having a ton of scratch marks.

I've had blanks scratch from something as simple as sliding the tip in the seat and letting the seat slide down the blank.

Just be aware of how rough it is inside that seat if you reamed it. And it's not grit coming off... it's from a rough surface on the inside of the seat after reaming.

-----------------
AD

Date: February 12, 2011 08:59PM

Never had a problem maybe just the way I do things ????

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster