I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

surf rod handle
Posted by: john backos (170.28.136.---)
Date: February 07, 2011 07:21AM

I just got two used surf rods from @#$%&. An ugly stick BWS 1100-12 and a Daiwa 5125 13'. The shakespeare is in decent shape with some touch up needed on the epoxy at the guide feet and the guide frames need painting. The Daiwa is a teardown. I am considering grip choices for the Daiwa and since my hands are fairly small, I don't want to increase the diameter of the rod If I don't have to (butt diameter of the blank is 1.1"). I was considering the following options:

1. Shrink wrap with a plate seat.
2. Butt cord with a plate seat.

My question for both of those methods is: How does the seat interface with the cord or the shrink wrap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: surf rod handle
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 09:27AM

Paint the frames of the guides ??? You will be better to strip the blank, paint it then replace the guides.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 09:45AM

All of the plate seats I've seen are wrapped on with thread (ends and center). So the shrink wrap (or cord) would go on top of the threads

Date: February 07, 2011 09:50AM

Here's where my mental block comes in. If the seat is wrapped to the blank, does the shrink wrap cover the end wraps but not the center one?

Date: February 07, 2011 10:20AM

Yes, it will only cover the end wraps.

Date: February 07, 2011 10:29AM

If I add the plate seat on top of the shrink wrap, can I then wrap thread around the shrink tube or should I cut channels in the tube to accomodate the thread?

Date: February 07, 2011 10:40AM

You could put the seat on top of the shrink wrap; then epoxy it just as you would a guide but I think that it looks better if the seat is wrapped on with size D (or even E) thread and then the shrink tube is put over the ends of the plate seat. I think this will also result in a longer lasting, more permanent attachment of the seat to the blank. The "bare" blank will show in the center -- or you could put a short "fancy" wrap under the center of the plate seat to jazz it up just a little - a short Scott Throop Tiger wrap in there, I think, would look very nice.

Date: February 07, 2011 10:55AM

Sounds good. For the termination at the front of the foregrip, would electrical tape make sense?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 10:59AM by john backos.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 03:09PM

First, the adhesive on electrical tape will melt in the heat and become messy.
Have you checked the height of a plate vs a graphite reel seat? I do not believe you will find much of an advantage in using a plate as compared to using a close fitting graphite seat. There have been issues with failures of plate seats. I do not know their current status.

I am not familiar with Daiwa rods. Since you mention small hands, should I consider it a conventional rod?
If it conventional and the reel is small, such as an ABU 6500, then you may want to use coasters. Use a good quality heat shrink from the butt cap to a few inches above the highest position you will use the reel. Finish the end of the heat shrink (above the reel) with a ramp of thread starting 1/4 inch from the heat shrink and overlap the heat shrink by 1/8 inch. If you are concerned about the reels base digging into the heat shrink or damaging the blank, you can add a second layer of heat shrink or use a self bonding tape such as Tommy Tape. This type of tape can be found in the larger hardware store in the plumbing department. Another name is Stretch & Seal. The use of coasters will allow to position the reel to a position that is appropriate for you.

That's one possible solution. I'm sure folks can come up with numerous others.

Don

Posted by: Darrell Worley (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 05:15PM

in my pics I have one that has held up for years . Underwrapped then over wrapped with epoxy ends and middle then applied shrink wrap over the ends and went back over with a capping thread with one last coat of epoxy .I'm no pro but it has held up to my abuse. Just don't use the locking tab as a lever...

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2011 06:11PM

If you wrap over the "shrink wrap" I would assume you would have plenty of air bubbles or fish eyes. Thats what im thinking Not sure though.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2011 06:49PM

I have made transitions between cork tape and reel seat and between cork tape and rod blank by building a thread ramp and covering the ramp with several coats of epoxy. There is no reason why such a ramp would not work with any type of grip or reel seat.
I begin the thread ramp with coarse thread evened out as smoothly as possible and whip finished. Then I saturate this ramp with "low-build" epoxy and turn it while it dries. Sometimes the humps need to be sanded down. A thin second (and sometimes third) coat of epoxy provides a smooth, even surface to wind a layer of tightly packed size A thread in my choice of colors, trim, or rod art. A final finish coat or two of epoxy and I have a personalized, unique, and durable ramp making the transition between two areas of the finished rod. A ramp wrapped with metallic thread has a subtle glow.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2011 12:19AM

A nice surf rod grip can be made with cork tape. It makes a wonderful handle, that does little to increase the size of the grip.

Roger

Date: February 08, 2011 02:11PM

Well, I just ordered materials. The rear edge of the original reel seat location measures 1.10". I will be using a fuji 30mm (1.18") reel seat (the original reel seat was a 30mm chrome plated brass seat). The rear grip will be x-flocked shrink tube (1.38") to a rubber butt cap. the foregrip will be a length of x-flocked shrink tube (1.38") terminating in an EVA Surf Grip. After reading many comments on the board I chickened out on the plate seat and felt that the rubber shrink would probably last longer in a sand spike or wedged between rocks.

Date: February 08, 2011 02:30PM

One thing for certain - the shrink will be much easier to replace ....... frankly "wedged between rocks" scares me. Sand spikes are CHEAP - Bass Pro has light aluminum ones for something like $8.00. Not the best spikes out there for sure but WAY WAY better than a jetty rocks.

Date: February 15, 2011 02:40PM

Handle came out good. The shrink is very tight. I am adding trim wraps at the transitions between the grip and shrink, shrink and seat and shrink and butt cap. The trim is to be yellow nylon mason's layout string with size D green (blank is green/gray) thread laid over the transitions between strings. I have two coats of spar urethan over the strings and will be overlaying the green soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster