I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1/16-1/8oz 6'10" -7' jig stick?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 05:02PM

Josh,
Thanks for your thought.
Yes, right now, the Legend Elite 5S70lf-g is the number one blank on my selection list, unless a better one comes along.

St. Croix has a mandrel with a very very very fast tip that is being used on some of their newest rods, that are very ideal for light jig walleye fishing.

Bill,
Thanks for your thoughts, but a fly rod has much much too slow a tip for this style fishing. Basically I am looking for a rod tip that acheives a 90 degree bend in about 12 inches.

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Adam Edwards (203.15.208.---)
Date: February 07, 2011 05:14PM

Hi Roger

What about these blanks from CTS fishing in NZ?

ES6600 6'6" 2-8lb 1pc 1/32-3/16oz XX Light Ex Fast
ES660 6'6" 2-8lb 1pc 1/16-1/4oz XX Light Ex Fast
ES700 7'0" 2-8lb 1pc 1/16-1/4oz XX Light Ex Fast
ES661 6'6" 4-10lb 1pc 3/32-1/4oz Ex Light Ex Fast
ES662 6'6" 6-12lb 3pc 1/8-7/16oz Light Ex Fast

I have made rods based on the 12-25lb and fish offshore platics with it. Check out this website www.egrell.com.au an Australian rod builder that uses CTS blanks. The pictures from the S10 (cult status rod in Australia) is a testament to the strength of these blanks. They have some excellent technology alos, check out the website www.ctsfishing.com

The link direct the blanks above is: [www.ctsfishing.com]

Regards Adam

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2011 05:29PM

Put me in the the RX8+ 822.5 blank

I think Joe's comment; "This blank is just a one of a kind blank, and extremely versatile."

and Gary's; " it's extra-fast, and the carbon scrim makes it one of the most sensitive blanks available"

Have hit the nail square on the head with them.

Not only will this blank cast light stuff, it will cast it further then many others I've used.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 05:44PM

Well........ this sounds like more $$ exiting my pocket in High Point! I've wanted to try an RX8+ blank for some time and "shakey head" has recently caught on with the local pro / semi-pro bass guys. For myself I'm thinking RX8+C843 for tossing jig-n-pig to striped bass.

Posted by: Tom Osthoff (---.wk.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 08:40PM

St. Croix 5C68MXF - Casting with LSG3.5 micro's all on top, Shimano Mg 50 with 10# Sunline Shooter Fluoro line.
St. Croix 5C68MXF - Spin Rod with BMHG 16 - 7 - 5 and LSG4's to tip., Shimano Stradic CI4 1000F with 10# Power Pro & 10# fluoro leader, uni/uni knot.

I built both of these rods and have used them both extensively here on the ledges of Kentucky Lake. I can't imagine a lighter set up with the backbone this blank has. A light rod is not a light outfit if you hang a 10oz reel on it. The casting version could also be built as a spiral. The braid/fluoro uni-uni knot does pass threw the #4 micro's without any problem. My two cents worth.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2011 12:21AM

Tom,
I have a couple of each of these rods and they are some of my favorite rods.
But I don't think that either of these rods are appropriate for 1/16th oz jigs. Just too much power for the light weight of the jigs.
They are wonderful rods, if using at least a 1/4 oz jig and preferably a 3/8th oz jigs. Perfectly loaded with jigs or lures of this weight.

Roger

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (65.211.174.---)
Date: February 08, 2011 09:57AM

Rainshadow RX7 ISB 780, really fun blank. Fast light tip, surprising butt strength. The action is about perfect, very similar to SC MLXF in action, but lighter power. Only 6'6" but obviously can be extend to whatever length needed. Only concern may be that it is not made with the highest modulus material. If the ISB 780 ever gets cloned in RX8 I will be building several.

Other thoughts:
I tried the RX8 XSW62L, but it is not as fast as the ISB 780. The RX8 XP841 is not quite as fast, but would work very well. It is only rated down to 3/16 oz, but I can't imagine it wouldn't throw 1/16 real well. I think the XP840 would be a little under powered for general walleye fishing, but would be fun if the fish are running a little small and crappies or perch are mixed.

Posted by: Tom Osthoff (---.wk.net)
Date: February 08, 2011 04:50PM

Roger, I agree with the 5C68MXF not suitable for 1/16oz lures. I read the thread and saw shakyhead - stout butt - extra fast tip. I just didn't read the title very clearly. I do throw my favorite shakyhead jigs of 3/16oz and 1/4oz most of the time without any problems. I put ceramic bearings in my Shimano Mg50 and with the 10# Power Pro I get very good distance on the 3/16oz shakyhead.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.214.192.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: February 08, 2011 06:20PM

Roger,
In case you've not seen this site.
[esp.norsemenoutdoors.com]
A little detective work might find rewards.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 09, 2011 09:35AM

Another possibility is a Lamiglas LP842. The XMG50 LP blanks are super fast and very light, I am not sure what the actual low rating of the LP842 is but the tip is very light and would probably cast 1/16 just fine.

Posted by: nicholas kingston (86.47.38.---)
Date: February 23, 2011 06:24AM

Roger

Have you considered an LRF style blank from Japan?
If he is using light line (up to 6lb) Matagi have a number of suitable blanks in their T-Russell range
I just got one to build as a proper LRF rod and its quite similar sounding to what yur frined wants to do (bit lighter though)

Nick

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster