I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1/16-1/8oz 6'10" -7' jig stick?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 12:23AM

I have a client that is looking for the lightest (physical weight), most sensitive - jigging rod - in a length that is between 6'10" to 7'.
He has stressed his desire for a SH style blank, i.e. robust butt with a fine tip and also with an extra fast tip on the rod.

I have pretty much searched all of the vendors for such a blank and it seems that it is a very difficult blank to find.

I know that the action of some of the St. Croix SCIII casting rods have the extra fast tip that he wants. But all of these have too much power for such an application.
Also, the SCIII rods are too physically heavy.
The Legend extremes are fine - from a physical weight standpoint, but due to the nature of their compostion have a lure range that starts at 1/8th - not 1/16th.

There is a Loomis that is in the catalog, but I have not physically seen it, and of course the blank is no longer available to the rod builder.

If any one has an excellent suggestion for such a rod blank - please let me know.

This rod will be used for pitching 1/16 and possibly 1/8th oz jigs to shore line cover for walleys as well as some vertical jigging applications in 20 feet or so of water when using a very light jig. Hence the need for the very fast tip and light tip action.

Thanks much
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 12:24AM by roger wilson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1/16-1/8oz 6'10" -7' jig stick?
Posted by: Bob Pratt (12.189.32.---)
Date: February 07, 2011 01:12AM

P842-MHX

Maybe!!

You can find this one at MudHole it's a MHX popping blank, the power might be a problem Mod-Lt

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 06:09AM

What about a blank rated for 1/4 oz which is only 1/4 oz over. 2/8 = 1/4 oz. may have a sweet spot ? A 6' blank extended fast may give you x-fast

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2011 07:18AM

Roger,

Spinning or casting? As a casting rod the RX8+S822.5 (with micros, may work well with 6mm guides) is pushing it with a 1/16oz. jig, depending on the plastic, but as a spinning rod would do just fine. Otherwise, I think you are looking for an extended 1 power spin jig blank, but you give up some power in the butt. The 822.5 can be built out to about 3.5oz. with split grips casting and about 3oz. with a split Tennessee handle spinning. There may be lighter blanks out there, but the 822.5 is going to be a tough one to beat for the task. Perhaps a St. Croix S69MLXF will work. It seems to have just a tad less power in the tip than the 822.5.

Good Luck with the build,

Joe

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2011 07:53AM

take a look at the 840 popping blanks or find a 780 and extend it. i know batson has some 840's in their lineup..some of the other companies may as well. go with carbon handles with micros and it should be a very light build.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 07:54AM by john timberlake.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 09:30AM

Roger, if you havn't already, take a look at some of the technique specific drop shot rods. If price is of no concern NFC drop shot rod fits the bill nicely. I recently bought one and it would fit that niche nicely. I also have an RX8+ built with a graphite tube tennessee handle with wooden arbor at the front and rear. The arbors are about an inch and an inch and a half. It has Fuji alconite guides, a total of 12 and a tip. It has a butt wrap and still comes in at 2.9 Oz. It is another blank with possibilities for you. It is the 822.5. This blank also consistantly weighs in at extremely fast. The only other blanks that are close to it in action are some of the St Croix SCV blanks. I also have some older Shikari blanks that would do the job but they are extremely hard to find. Perhaps CTS or again if you have some old ATC blanks around they would probably work also. Again they are all pretty pricey but very nice blanks for the application you're looking for.

Date: February 07, 2011 09:58AM

Is that lure weight a little heavy on that 822.5 for what he needs to use ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 10:12AM

I've found that lure weights are pretty subjective from the manufacturers also. I use that particular build for vertical jigging 1/16 to 1/4 oz jigs, I think it is great for that application and a few others even. I'm not sure but i believe it has more to do with the tapers and actions when looking for blanks or rods to do the job.

Date: February 07, 2011 10:18AM

So I should - forget - looking at Any of the numbers . Line or lure weight. I mean it may have a sweet spot. Plus said here that companies under rate them so people don,t over load the rod and break it. Then complain

Why have them there if they tell you nothing ??

I was just thinking 5/8 oz is 1/2 oz more I can see maybe 3/8 ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 10:19AM

Roger,

My advice would be to use a 3S60LF and extend it the needed amount. The SCIII are not heavier than the others, the catalog lists the 3S60LF at 1.0oz and the 4S60LF at 1.2oz. That will give him the exact rod he's looking for- xtra-fast and able to throw the light jigs. Build it with a split grip and some micros.

jeremy

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2011 10:26AM

Bill,

It's 1/8-1/2oz. (on the RX8+), but actually loads just a tad easier than other blanks I've used with an 1/8-3/8oz weight range, but not quite as easily as a 1 power SJ. The extra weight on the range is indicative of the fact the blank has a limber tip that loads the light stuff easily. A bit more power in the mid and butt sections boost the upper limit. It really is the perfect blank for swimming grubs on 1/8oz. jigs. This blank is just a one of a kind blank, and extremely versatile.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 10:33AM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 10:29AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a client that is looking for the lightest
> (physical weight), most sensitive - jigging rod -
> in a length that is between 6'10" to 7'.
> He has stressed his desire for a SH style blank,
> i.e. robust butt with a fine tip and also with an
> extra fast tip on the rod.
>
> I have pretty much searched all of the vendors for
> such a blank and it seems that it is a very
> difficult blank to find.
>
> I know that the action of some of the St. Croix
> SCIII casting rods have the extra fast tip that he
> wants. But all of these have too much power for
> such an application.
> Also, the SCIII rods are too physically heavy.
> The Legend extremes are fine - from a physical
> weight standpoint, but due to the nature of their
> compostion have a lure range that starts at 1/8th
> - not 1/16th.
>
> There is a Loomis that is in the catalog, but I
> have not physically seen it, and of course the
> blank is no longer available to the rod builder.
>
> If any one has an excellent suggestion for such a
> rod blank - please let me know.
>
> This rod will be used for pitching 1/16 and
> possibly 1/8th oz jigs to shore line cover for
> walleys as well as some vertical jigging
> applications in 20 feet or so of water when using
> a very light jig. Hence the need for the very fast
> tip and light tip action.
>
> Thanks much
> Roger

Hi Roger,

A couple of thoughts.

A lot of walleye guys like to use the term "pitching" when they really mean CASTING (as in overhand casting.)

I'd also want clarification on what these 1/16 to 1/8 oz. jigs really are. Are they hair jigs, etc. that really do weigh 1/16-1/8 oz. or does he usually tip the jigs with plastics? If he uses plastics, the lure weight will substantially higher than he is saying.

Many of the CASTING (not pitching) issues that walleye guys have are more related to their choice of reels than the fault of their rods. Many of them use 1000 - 1500 size reels with TINY spools that are horrible casters because the spool is half empty after a couple of reties. If that's the case with this client, I'd steer him toward putting a Shimano Ci 2500 or Pflueger Arbor 7430 on the rod (light weight and either on will cast great.)

I'd lean more toward building a light weight rod that will handle the fish after they're hooked than looking at the lure weight ratings, and address the castability of his "1/16 - 1/8 oz." jigs by educating him to set this up with the right reel and line combination. There are a lot of great M or MLXF blanks that should fit his needs if they're matched with the proper line and reel.

Dan

Date: February 07, 2011 10:42AM

Your right Joe I was looking at the RX 7s

Dan also makes a good point. Some will say - putting lure in hand - that feels like a 1/2 oz. never thinking they also add rubber to it making it heaver.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 10:51AM

Roger -
Possible consideration: American Tackle ACSP 842-2 (two piece blank) 7' ; 1/16 - 5/16's; 4-8 lb line; 4.5 tip; .320 butt & comes in at about an ounce in wt.

Posted by: Karen Hapka - Bingham Ent. (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 12:04PM

Roger - you might want to take a look at the North Fork Composites models CB701 IM or the FW702IM.

Karen
Bingham Enterprises

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: February 07, 2011 12:53PM

I agree with several of the others who recommended the RX8+S822.5 ... it's extra-fast, and the carbon scrim makes it one of the most sensitive blanks available. I think anything lighter will have trouble jigging 1/8 oz. in deep water. As others have said, if he adds pork or plastic to the jig, it's now a 1/4 oz. lure.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 02:30PM

All,
Thanks for all of the comments.
I have looked at several of the above listed blanks and have rejected them for one reason or another.

I will have to check out the NFC and RX8 822.5.

When I have the blank in my hand, I will know if it is the right one. I just haven't found the right one yet.

The rod will be built as a spinning rod with very light guides and handle setup. The key on this blank is the ability to toss 1/16th jigs, but still have a good hook set.

Many of the wonderful blanks mentioned above are just too beefy in the tip for this application.
Another reason for rejection is the tip action. I have seen only a very very few blanks that meet this clients critiera for Extra Fast tip.
I have built a couple of the St. Croix SCIII 66M casting extra fast blanks, and those are the type tips that the client is looking for. i.e. virtually all of the tip bend in the last 12 inches of the rod, and quickly more power after that. Unfortunately, this blank has too much power for the particular client.

I am certainly open to other suggestions.

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 02:33PM by roger wilson.

Date: February 07, 2011 03:14PM

1/16-1/8oz 6'10" -7' jig stick? One or the other Which is it 1/16 is lighter the 1/8 ?

What about a fly blank For the size you don't have much choice ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.static.midco.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 03:34PM

Would this fit the bill? Legend Elite 5S70LF-G?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 04:06PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> When I have the blank in my hand, I will know if
> it is the right one. I just haven't found the
> right one yet.
>

Isn't that the way things tend to turn out? That's why I have dozens of blanks standing in the corner = those are the "almosts" LOL
The American Tackle blank will NOT work for what you are building. The NFC CB-701 might be the ticket.

Probably the best bet: Since the show is coming up soon ..... come shake some sticks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 04:39PM by Ken Preston.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster