I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

drill chuck for lathe
Posted by: John Candelmo (---.prvdri.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2011 11:38AM

Hi all.
I just purchesed a 1/2 jacobs chuck for my lathe it has a mt1 taper as dose my lathe but it wil not hold.
I think it may be too long but I don't see how that could be.

My question is. If it is too long would cutting it down solve my problem?

Thank in advance for any help

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: drill chuck for lathe
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2011 12:21PM

It's going to be tough to cut - most likely the shaft is made from very hard steel.

I assume you are putting this in your tailstock, not the headstock, correct?

If the taper is not precise, it will tend to spin. You may wish to contact the manufacturer for a replacement. But before doing that, make sure the inside of your lathe taper is clean, and try inserting the chuck spindle. Then give it a couple sharp raps with a wood block. That may seat it. If not, I think I'd opt for a replacement.

Date: February 06, 2011 12:28PM

it is going in the headstock and I also use it in the tailstock. I remember reading some were that on the HF lathe thy needed to be cut but I can not seem to find it.

Thanks
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2011 01:19PM by John Candelmo.

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.nextweb.net)
Date: February 06, 2011 01:23PM

You sure it's MT1, because I thought much of their stuff is MT2. In fact, the Jacobs chuck they sell is MT2. I use one on my Excelsior lathe(Rockler house brand), but I'd venture to guess mine comes from some of the same factories overseas as the castings and components are quite similar.

Date: February 06, 2011 01:28PM

Yes it is an mt1# I did not buy the chuck from the as thy did not have it.. I got the chuck from wood craft.

it holds fine when using sand paper and screen but when I go to cutting tools it loosens up.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 06, 2011 01:48PM

Do what Tom suggested and tap it with a block of wood or rubber mallet. I sometimes use mine in the headstock to hold a small mandrel. Maybe try to scuff it a little with sandpaper

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: February 06, 2011 03:33PM

I will thanks

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 12:35AM

John,
Take your other MT attachments and compare the size and length of your existing attachments to the new drill chuck.
Use a caliper to take measurements at identical spots on both MT tapers. See if the taper is identical.
Then, check for overall length. Some of the inserts have a different flatted on them to put in the "special MT" inserts that are in some pieces of machinery.

I picked up a couple of MT attachments for my lathe, and they had this fltatted end on the MT insert. As a result of the flatted end, the insert would not fit cleanly into the headstock.

The fix was simple. I simply used my chop saw with the abrasive wheel mounted on it to chop off the end of the MT attachment.
Arter trimming the flatted end from the MT attachement the accessory fit fine wiht no slippage.

About the only way to cut this type of hardened material is to grind it of with a grinder, or to use a high speed abrasive wheel to cut it off.

If you have a dremel tool, put in an abrasive disk and you can easily chop through the end of an MT hardened shaft. You might use a few abrasive wheels to get through it, but the dremel will cut the hardened steel just fine.

Also, as Tom suggested - whenever working on a Lathe, always have a hammer to tap an MT accessory into the headstock, or tail stock for a secure mount. Then, use your exit shaft that comes with your lathe and a hammer to tap the MT accessory out of the headstock or tailstock.

Good luck
Roger

Date: February 07, 2011 01:23AM

Thanks I will check this today. I know it is longer but I don't remember seeing a flatend area on it. I will measure the taper today

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 09:59AM

On my Jet lathe, I have to crank out the tailstock a bit to get mine to fit properly. If the tailstock is cranked all the way in, then the end of the chuck shaft hits.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 01:16PM

Mike Sledden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On my Jet lathe, I have to crank out the tailstock
> a bit to get mine to fit properly. If the
> tailstock is cranked all the way in, then the end
> of the chuck shaft hits.

Mike - That's a good point. Some tailstocks have a "bump out" feature that removes the chuck, livecenter, etc. by cranking the arbor into the tailstock rather than having to use a hammer and steel bar to knock it out.

Dan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster