I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using 27x, how would you build this rod?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2011 11:15AM

I was going to list how I built my GLoomis Mahogany 9 1/2' blank using a combination of the staic test/table top method but that's really a moot point. What I'd really like to know is with a spool lip diameter of 61.56mm (2.42"), the spindle tip 3.54" above the reel foot, and a 7mm choker guide 65 7/16" from the spool face, what Fuji Y guide sizes and spacings would be appropriate between the choker and reel using the 27x method? The rod's length should be irrelevant but anyone that's built a rod with that size reel spool should suffice. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using 27x, how would you build this rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2011 11:24AM

In order for anyone to lay that out and plot the line path, you'll also need to give them the reel seat size so they can add 1/2 the diameter to the spindle tip height. That will change the line path by a bit.

If I had any Fuji Y guides I'd be happy to do it for you, but I don't keep any of those on hand.

Posted by: mike burnette (---.pmtnet.net)
Date: February 06, 2011 11:44AM

Sorry I am kinda hi-jacking this thread.
maybe I am showing my ignorance,,but,
what is "spindle tip height"?

Toms' Quote,
"you'll also need to give them the reel seat size so they can add 1/2 the diameter to the spindle tip height."

I dont understand.
Thanks mikeb

Home Town,Gretna VA

Date: February 06, 2011 11:52AM

Spindle tip height would be how high the center shaft that goes thru the spool sits above the reel's foot (that slides into the reelseat). I would think most reels with that size spool lip diameter would be fairly consistant height-wise sitting off the reelseat.

Tom - my reelseat is a Fuji ISP 16mm, (can't believe you don't have any B/CYAG or TLSG guides in your toolbox).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2011 11:54AM by Tim Collins.

Date: February 06, 2011 12:08PM

The size of the reel seat will change the height of the spindle above the rod blank.

I've switched most of my guides to other types in the past couple years. I do have plenty of the low frame type, but not the high frame Y style. But I'll take a look this afternoon and see what I have left.

Date: February 07, 2011 06:40PM

Without having your stuff here, I just ran a quick plot on the countertop and came up with the following (distance is from your choker location):

#25 - 39
#16 - 28
#10 - 16
#8 - 8.25

These are approximate. With your rod in front of you it would be a lot easier to get the sizes and spacings exact, but these would be close.

I have no idea what size or type line you'll use and as you know, that plays a big role in the size guides you should use. I also didn't interchange SVLG style guides in with the Y frame types. Doing so gives you a lot more options.

Date: February 09, 2011 03:58PM

Thanks Tom, that's really intersting. That would put your butt guide about 26 7/16" from the spool lip. I actually built this rod using the older table top method and put a 7mm choker 49 1/2" from the reel with the following transition guides behind the choker:

#25 - 28 (21 1/2" to spool)
#16 - 17
# 8 - 8.875

It casts great and with the reversed Fuji IPSM seat I'm able to adjust my hand to balance it perfectly during a drift since it's a bit lighter at the top - and I was able to keep the (3) transition guides all on the lower section. It wound up being one of my better looking projects, thanks again.

I forgot - I use a really limp Siglon F line in 12# test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 04:03PM by Tim Collins.

Date: February 09, 2011 07:34PM

I assumed you were going much heavier than that. With line that light, I'd redo my earlier set up. 21 to 22 inches from the reel would be plenty for the butt guide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster