I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro spiral wrap questions, please help...
Posted by: Ryan Thirtyacre (74.206.51.---)
Date: February 05, 2011 06:36PM

so for my next build i plan on spiral wrapping a 7 ft mh fast action blank with micros.

i plan on using this rod for worming techniques.

ive done some searching here but figured id just start a new topic... i cast with my right hand and reel with my left (left handed reels), no hand switch. should my spiral go to the left side then, the reel handle side?

i planned on using recoil micros just on the turn because i figured these guides would be more susceptible to breakage when the rod was laid flat on the ground or boat deck. is this true?

also, i would like to use a simple spiral; a 6 double foot on top, a 5 recoil guide at 90 degrees, and 4s or 3s across the bottom. i havent had much experience with spirals so would this type of spiral be best? if not, what would you recommend?

id appreciate the knowledge and help here guys, thanks alot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro spiral wrap questions, please help...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2011 06:41PM

Most in your situation will spiral to the same side the reel handle is on.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.247.22.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 05, 2011 07:20PM

It won't matter one way or the other but I spiral to the handle side

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: February 05, 2011 07:52PM

Doing a search on GLoomis NRX issues may cause you to rethink your bumper guide choice.

I use left hand reels and I put the bumper on the same side as the handle.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2011 09:02PM

I too do not switch hands and suggest you follow the others advice.

I also suggest you not use a simple spiral set-up if you intend to use Micro's especially if you intend to use any mono or floro above 10 lb test.

Been using Micros on spiral rods for few years now and have yet to have a guide failure in the spiral area.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2011 10:58AM

I agree with Steve,
Use two or three guides to make the bend rather than one.
The line will flow better and you will have no line hang ups or guide pressureon the line. No line pressure and no guide issues.

Adjust the guide size and orientation to allow the
1. line to stack correctly back on the reel when retreiving line.
2. Allow the line to flow off of the reel with virtually no pressure on any individual guide. i.e. the size, orientation and location of the guides sould be such that on a straight pull, there is no sharp angular change in the line flow as it runs from the reel to the rod tip.
3. As the others have suggested, sprial the rod,so that when the rod is laid down flat - there will be no resting pressure on any guide. i.e. in a natural resting position, no guide should touch the resting surface.

To achieve 2, you may need to change the number of guides, the location of guides, and or the orientation of guides. There is really nothing magic about he size, nmber or location of guides on a rod, let the rods power and action and line dictate the guide size, location and orientation.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2011 08:09PM

I've been using spirals on all my rods I fish with the tip up, (worms, jigs, shaky heads, etc). I really like the newer Fuji K series guides. I use (1) 5.5mm double foot on top, (1) 5mm single foot at 60 degrees, (1) 4mm single foot at 120 degrees, then all 4's to the tip. Also, depending on what the target bait is to be fished, I will use either a 6mm, or 4mm tip. For carolina rigs I tend to use a larger diameter tip top in case the heavy weight is reeled into the tip. Like Steve I have yet to have a micro guide fail with or without the Forhan locking wrap.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 09:53AM

I have been using the simple spiral but I use 3 #6 double foot guides then #3 micros out to the tip. I place my bumper guide though so I get the best line path, it is not always at 90 degrees.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster