I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe chuck selection
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2011 11:48AM

Just purchased a Delta 46-460 lathe mostly for grip turning and not sure of which chuck to buy (Nova G3, 3-jaw, 4-jaw, mini?). So many options it seems, much different from my Grizzly hobby lathe days! Mainly turn cork on a 1/4" mandrel but also plan to turn reel seats, acrylic inserts, etc. Thanks for any and all suggestions - very appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe chuck selection
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 05, 2011 11:59AM

I find the "3 jaw" perfect for holding mandrels and use the "4 jaw" for square pieces, like reel seat blanks, etc. YEP you will find you use them both.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 05, 2011 12:49PM

If you pre-drill the inserts with a drill press and a jig, you will not need a 4-jaw chuck, but if you plan on drilling them on the lathe, unless they are already round you will need a 4 jaw chuck, preferably a self centering unit. At the present I do not have one but I wish I did, but so far the cose of the one I want has prevented this.

Ron Weber

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2011 01:09PM

Mike,
As the other posts have suggested, the 3 jaw chuck is fine for about 90% of your needs, but you will be happy to have the 4 jaw chuck for those times that you need to chuck up a non round piece of work.
Penn state is a quality supplier at good prices:

[www.pennstateind.com]

Depending on what you need and your head stock shaft size, the Taig tools and chucks are excellent quality:

[www.taigtools.com]

This lathe looks like about the perfect lathe for rod building. Great choice:
[www.portercable.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.thefind.com]

[www.thefind.com]

Be safe - turning.

Roger

Date: February 05, 2011 01:53PM

Very helpful - Thank you all so very much!

PSI does look like a good choice - Thanks Roger!

Appreciated, Mike

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2011 02:37PM

a four jaw chuck will hold a mandrel and square pieces..a three jaw will hold and mandrel and won't hold square pieces....if you plan on one get a 4 jaw it is more versatile....You can then center bore on the lathe which is very accurate. I think the Penn State chucks are a great value for the money spent and i use them...the others are very nice(nova, vicmarc, etc) just more expensive. it all boils down to how much you want to spend and how far you plan on taking your turning adventures

Posted by: Tom St.Clair (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 05, 2011 04:34PM

I was at the WoodWorking show (in Indianapolis) 2 weeks ago. I bought a 4 jaw self centering chuck, with 5 sets of jaws, in a case, with adapter from 3/4x16 to 1x8. for $200.
I got it at the Woodline Booth, btw GREAT people to work with.

I don't know where you live but below is a link for the show.

[woodworkingshows.com]

t

--------------------------------

tom in indy

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 05, 2011 05:04PM

Like JP said, a 4 jaw is by far the more versatile. The Penn State 4 jaw Utility is very good. Mandrels can be used in a small 3 jaw or even a cheap MT jacobs chuck

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: February 06, 2011 09:29AM

Thanks again everyone, this helps a bunch and I'll do some more research into the Penn St products. A decent 4-jaw would be nice, I would like to dive into other projects when comfortable, bowls, bats, etc. Have a great day, appreciated - Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster