I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ventilated rod grip
Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 07:34PM

Can someone email me instructions on building ventilated rod grips.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ventilated rod grip
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 07:45PM

What are they???????????????????

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sub-174-253-99.myvzw.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 08:46PM

Glue the cork rings on the fly blank with a little space between them. Then shape the grip.

Lane

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 09:04PM

Seems to me that could lead to cork breakout without any support between the rings, but I have never tried it though.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sub-174-253-99.myvzw.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 09:08PM

I've never done one either but I think I read about it in The Lovely Reed.
Lane

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 09:13PM

it could be neat if you used some cork checkers missing some pieces in the gaps. it would make a nice pattern and give it more stablility to prevent breakout

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 02:05AM

Sounds like a receipe for an unhappy fisherman with a broken handle.
Roger

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 08:43AM

Many of the vintage bamboo guys love them. They say that ventilated grips are their favorite grips do to the comfort and that they allow the rod to flex into the grip better, I like JT's idea. That could make for a very interesting custom grip.

Lane

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 09:08AM

I would build and shape the grip as usual, then add grooves for ventilation.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: steve clark (207.144.75.---)
Date: February 06, 2011 05:35PM

Interested in the ventilated grip myself, so took notes when I ran across it on Clark's board not too terribly long ago. One respondent said (from my notes, not verbatim):

"I own Martha Marie Young's Perfectionist made by her husband Paul Young, and it has the ventilated grip. Looking at it with a magnifying glass, you see where Paul Young set the cork, then trapped it using silk windings. The grip face only has the rear trapped, the next cork has both front and rear trapped with silk. I imagine he used some sort of spacer to set the spacing as they are all exact. The last cork is trapped by the all cork seat and butt cap (also cork).

"Glue on cane, slide cork down, wrap silk, more glue, next cork, push tightly against previous silk windings and spacer; repeat . . . not saying Paul Young did this for every ventilated grip he built, but he did on this particular rod. I'm sure there are different ways to approach this, since Bob Summers did this, as did South Bend, and modern maker RW Lancaster. Perhaps someone with a rod by Mr. Lancaster could give more insight."

another said . . .

"I just checked the grip on my Lancaster built in 1983, his interpretation of the PHY Perfectionist. Close inspection reveals the grip has been glued up with cork rings with nothing between them. Evidently he used a removable spacer when gluing the rings on to accomplish a spacing of approx. 0.7mm between rings."

I'll have to at least give it a try at some point . . .

– smc –

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster