I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrap colors for Avid Inshore?
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 08:38AM

I've never had a problem in the past with picking thread colors but this Avid Inshore has me stumped. The problem is that I'm using black alconite guides because the BLDBAG's aren't offered in a chrome or silver. I don't like using black guides on an earthtone blank but I'm stuck with it. I'm using cork grips with silver metal winding checks. The only colors I can think of right now are the good old black with metallic silver trim. Suggestions from anyone who's built on these?

thanks,
jeremy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrap colors for Avid Inshore?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 10:05AM

What about other guide companies have you looked at all of them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 10:14AM

Jeremy,

I would personally go with an Orange looking color that matches or blends into the blank like the one used from the factory and then add a few Silver metallic thread for the trim wraps. I know it is a little bit simplistic but I like it. Also, I do not think you need to go with those heavy duty (heavy weight) guides on this rod, especially on the top portion of the rod where you needed to be as light as possible. If it was me I would go with Fuji New Concept CYAG SS chrome frame / Alconite inserts or the factory ALPS VS3 guides with chrome frame / Zirconium inserts, very tough and nice looking too. My 2 cents.

Thanks,

Pedro

Date: February 03, 2011 10:32AM

Pedro,

I was playing around with some orange wraps and they did look good. The guides are actually light weight single foot fly's- just a sturdier version than normal fly's without being noticably heavier. I'm using the 8' H as a bucktail rod for musky.

Bill,

I haven't looked around much, I need to have the rod done by the 10th. I saw the heavy duty micros and thought they'd be great without giving much thought to color...oops.

jeremy

Date: February 03, 2011 10:59AM

If you do the orange in regular nylon you can get two different effects. One with CP and another with out. Without you will get a more transparent look. letting the blank color show through.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 11:02AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you do the orange in regular nylon you can get
> two different effects. One with CP and another
> with out. Without you will get a more transparent
> look. letting the blank color show through.

Correct, that's exactly how they do it as St. Croix. Transparent look.

Date: February 03, 2011 11:08AM

I just re-ordered guides. I went with silver which will solve my issues. I really wanted to use the heavier fly's but I'm going with the CLAG's.

Thanks guys, I'll post some pic's when the rod is done.

jeremy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 02:55PM

Jeremy,
If you had used a black winding check you would have a non issue.
You could go with black with green and gold trim and it would have looked great.

Take care
Roger

Date: February 03, 2011 03:39PM

Roger,

I'm not a big fan of the black rubber winding checks (if that's what you were referring to). Thanks for the color suggestions.

jeremy

Date: February 03, 2011 04:19PM

Add a little bling and get some colored ones They look real good !!

You could put the rubber ones on and tint a coat of clear and cover it ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 09:11PM

Just experiment and do what ever you want... most colors work together in the end. i cant think of a color combination that doesn't really go together well.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 02:11AM

Jeremy,
If you don't have one, pick up a color wheel. A color wheel will give you all of the same colors, contrasting colors as well as complementary colors. A big aid when selecting the best colors for a rod.

Good luck
Roger

Date: February 04, 2011 09:03AM

Like I said, I have never had a problem with picking colors before but the black guides were throwing me off. I'm going with the stainless guides now.

jeremy

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: February 04, 2011 12:06PM

Well, orange is a hot color and sometimes goes better with other hot colors such as red, gold, yellow, beige and tan. Basic black is universal and goes with everything. I think silver/chrome might go best with cool colors such as greens and blues. Perhaps you could find an article on "hot" and "cool" colors (google it!) and get some ideas. A color wheel probably covers this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 12:17PM by Gary Snyder.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: February 04, 2011 12:49PM

Out of curiosity, I did a quick search on the web and came up with this online java program... it's based on web/html color number system, but there are charts you can find on the web which match the numbers to other systems/common color names. I think it's so good I bookmarked it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster