I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Little off topic..... cleaning guides
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 01:48PM

A local charter captain asked me if I know a good way to clean "crud" off guides. These rods have been used seriously over the past two years in saltwater and clearly were not rinsed off after fishing trips......... Anyone have any "tricks"? Non-abrasive solutions, liquids? Anything?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Little off topic..... cleaning guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2011 01:52PM

CLR does about all you can hope for. Whatever it won't remove, is there for keeps.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 01:55PM

Ken, Go to PEP-BOYS get wheel cleaner,spray ,scrub with fingernail brush, rinse.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: PAUL BEAULIEU (---.lightspeed.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 10:27PM

I had to resurrect some older carbaloy guides on a wire line rod I rebuilt for a friend last year. Asked that question of Capt Neil and the answer came back " Soak overnight in Lime-A-Way" (any hardware store carries it) . He was right; the chrome looked almost new when I reinstalled the guides. Can't argue with the voice of experience !

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2011 09:08AM

Ask him about a - re-wrap ?? $$$

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 02, 2011 10:16AM

Bill -
I made these rods (complete set) over the course of 5 or so years. He's a very nice man and a good captain but he has a propensity to tear down while on the way back to the dock and put the rods in the overhead without rinsing them off. The wraps are good (although some of the threads have faded) - but a re-wrap would probably not be cost-effective (something like 30 rods).

Date: February 02, 2011 10:34AM

It's not your fault he does not rinse them ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2011 01:56PM

Soaking the rods in Lime A Way is a very good idea.
An easy way to do this with minimum material is to get a piece of pvc pipe that is just big enough to accomodate a rod. Glue a cap on one end of the pipe. Use a pipe that is long enough to take care of the longest rod.
Then, fill it 2/3rds with Lime a Way and drop in a rod, tip down. Let soak overnight, take out the next morning and go over the guides with a tooth brush and fresh water.

The use of the pvc pipe will let the rod be completely immersed in the solution with minimum solution.

Good luck
Roger

Date: February 02, 2011 08:43PM

Not for nothing but talking to a customer today on the phone he told me he cleans his saltwater stuff with Coca -cola

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 08:46PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2011 10:41PM

Hi Roger,

That is a great idea using a PVC tube with the Lime Away in it.

It will use up quite a bit of the product but the liquid can be used over and over again.

Thanks for the tip.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: February 06, 2011 09:38AM

Lime-away in the PVC tube then toothbrush worked great

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster