I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NGC Guide layout question
Posted by: Larry Hale (---.dsl.eulstx.swbell.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 09:44AM

Building a spinning rod using NGC. Measured the lip of the reel spool and got 45mm. Multiplied by 27and got 1215mm. Converted to inches and got 47.8". Measured out that distance from the front of the reel and marked position of the choker.

This is on a 7' blank and puts the choker guide 24" from the tip.

Does this sound right to you?

Larry

I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NGC Guide layout question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2011 09:53AM

Neither the choker guide, nor the reel, is concerned with where the tip of the rod is. How much rod length exists from the choker to the rod tip has no bearing on anything.

What's important, is how far the choker guide is from the reel. For the same reel, that distance will be the same regardless of whether the rod is 7 feet long, or 10 feet long.

Never worry about how far the choker guide is from the tip of the rod - worry about how far the choker guide is from the reel.

Posted by: Larry Hale (---.dsl.eulstx.swbell.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 10:15AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neither the choker guide, nor the reel, is
> concerned with where the tip of the rod is. How
> much rod length exists from the choker to the rod
> tip has no bearing on anything.
>
> What's important, is how far the choker guide is
> from the reel. For the same reel, that distance
> will be the same regardless of whether the rod is
> 7 feet long, or 10 feet long.
>
> Never worry about how far the choker guide is from
> the tip of the rod - worry about how far the
> choker guide is from the reel.
>
>
> ....................
Do you think 2 guides are enough between the reel face and the choker? Thinking of a 20 and a 12.

Larry

I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 10:17AM by Larry Hale.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2011 10:45AM

you may be able to get by with 2 or may use 3. the key is getting height and this can be done by using taller framed guides. by using the taller framed guides it allows you to use a smaller ring size.

Date: February 01, 2011 11:57AM

I can't tell you what to use - however the line path will tell you exactly what to use.

At some point you want to buy a set of "set-up" guides. Inexpensive versions of whatever guides you favor. One of each size. That way you can let the line path tell you which ones to go with, and then order only those for that particular rod project.

Posted by: Rich Gorden (---.gnv.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 09:21PM

I just started using the NGC system in the past year, I've become a believer. Weight and cost reduction, and better casting. I've built two 7' rods recently and your measurements are pretty close to mine. I use 2000 size reels mostly, and my spool diameters are 44-45 mm. both my rods have the chokers around 24 to 25 inches from the tip. I wondered how much difference it made casting wise if you put a 3000 or 4000 size reel on it though? I wonder if folks mark (label) the optimal spool diameter on their rods for thier customers?

Date: February 01, 2011 09:45PM

Forget how far the choker is from the tip - that doesn't matter one bit. Line control takes place between the reel and the choker guide, not between the choker guide and the rod tip. The system is set up to place the choker a certain distance from the reel, not the rod tip.

Posted by: Rich Gorden (---.gnv.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 10:16PM

Tom, I understand that, and I think Larry does too. I did the measurements the same as he explained above. Hope we're not confusing folks. It's difficult to compare guide placement on similar length rods by spool face to choker distance, because of different handle lengths and reel configurations. I had never measured the choker to tip distance until I read his post, I was interested to see how close his measurements were to mine with a similar spool size. Turns out we're pretty close. I was glad to see I was in the ballpark, being fairly new using this method. I like your idea of the "set up guides" above. I hadn't thought of that. I've been guessing at the sizes and making them work.

Date: February 01, 2011 10:46PM

Right. My point is that the distance from the choker to the rod tip makes no difference. There are still too many guys who think if the choker is too close or too far from the tip (in their perspective) something must be wrong. The fact is, anything beyond the choker guide, whether it be 1 inch or 100 inches, is of zero importance. Line control takes place between the reel and the choker guide, not between the choker and rod tip. The distance from the reel spool to the choker is what matters and it isn't affected by rod length, handle length, etc.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2011 09:43AM

You can also check by doing it the old way and take the spool off the reel. Place on the rod and use a straight edge from the shaft to point of contact. - they should touch the same point.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster