I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay nylon thread question
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 09:01PM

I am currently - right now - wrapping a fly rod with Midnight Black Nylon thread and find it slippery. So slippery that it squeeses a s/f guide out from under the wrap. I solved that prob by double wrapping with elastic thread.
Big question is whether the thread absorbs finish and does the finish migrates all the way through to the blank as does Gudebrod - or - does the finish just sit on thread as though I had used CP.
Thanks,
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay nylon thread question
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 09:33PM

I have never had any problems with the Pac Bay thread. The epoxy does penetrate just like Gudebrod. I also have never experienced the slipping problem you mention.

Date: January 31, 2011 09:45PM

Phil,
Thanks for quick response - I will continue wrapping.

It looks as though thread is coated with something to make it glossy.

Thanks,
Herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 07:56AM

Scoff the top of the guide feet with some 220 or 320 sand paper. It will give it some grip so the thread should climb onto the foot.

Are the guides - prepped ? Or did you put them on with out doing any thing to them.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 07:58AM by bill boettcher.

Date: February 01, 2011 08:06AM

Hey Bill,
My guides are prepped well - I take a lot of time with them. As a matter of fact - re scuffing recommendation - the REC s/f guides are pre ground at the factory (sort-of) and they are quite rough on top and on the edges. So I have to smooth them out with 1000 grit paper or the thread is prone to fray as I pack against this roughness. The final result is still pretty rough. The tip of the guide is not factory pre-prepped at all and a lot of time is taken filing them to a fine point.
Thanks,
Herb

Date: February 01, 2011 08:21AM

I have scuffed feet with 220 and never had any fraying problems.
Some times I find it helpful to push the thread about 1/4 of the way onto the foot, wrap about 5-6 turns and then pack to the end of the foot. Watch the tension it can get loose on ya.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 01, 2011 10:25AM

Bill,
I am not scuffing with the 1000 grit. I am smoothing. The s'f feet from REC come VERY rough. Will cut thread like a saw.
Herb

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 01:30PM

Herb,
I am wondering if , when prepping your guides, if you are thinning the ends of the guides, as well as running the prep up the full length of the guide.

I use either 150 or 220 grit on my 1 inch belt sander when I prep guides. I hold the guides horizonal to the direction of the I start on the tip and essentially hold the guide, so that there is realy not a rounded portion on the guide, Rather the guide pretty much makes a straight line from a razor edge at the edge of the guide foot to the end of the guide foot.

As a result of guide prep like this, and with the sanding lines running horizontal to the guide, I rarely slow down when power wrapping the guides. i.e. I start off the guide foot, encounter the guide foot and run right to the point where I need to put in my pull thread.

I have really not found any of the "factory prepped" guides that work for me. The factory may take the edge off of the blunt of guides, but really don't taper the guide foot very well.

On the note about Pac Bay thread and your comment on Slippery. I actually like pac bay and its slippery feel. The makeup of this thread realy lets me do a nice job of packing the thread.

As I said at the beginning of the post, I prefer to prep with either 150 or possibly 220. I never use anything finer than 220. I like the fine sanding grooves on the guides to help hold the thread. If, when wrapping you have your thread wrap set up correctly, the thread pretty much self packs.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: February 01, 2011 03:35PM

I have tried many types of thread and Pac Bay is by far my favorit, never had a problem. Finish soaks through without issue.

Date: February 01, 2011 05:52PM

Thanks guys.

What I like about Gudebrod is the fact that they have size "00" in matching colors to their size "A" thread. I use the "00" thread to wrap my fly rod running guides for a smaller finished profile / weight.
Pac Bay only has size "A" for fly rods.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 09:08PM

1000 grit is "overkill" it is almost bufing rather then sanding,. Anything more than 400 grit really isn't necessary.

Date: February 02, 2011 07:42AM

Phil,
I am trying to buff the roughness out of the guide feet so I don't damage the thread as I pack.

I applied finish to a sample wrap and the finish penetrated the same as on Gudebrod thread. And this was finish that came from the freezer after 2 days so it was a little thickened - but it still prnetrated. So I may be using PB thread from now on. The only compromise is the lack of "00" size for the running guides.
Thanks for all your help.
Herb

Date: February 02, 2011 07:43AM

Phil,
I am trying to buff the roughness out of the guide feet so I don't damage the thread as I pack.

I applied finish to a sample wrap and the finish penetrated the same as on Gudebrod thread. And this was finish that came from the freezer after 2 days so it was a little thickened - but it still prnetrated. So I may be using PB thread from now on. The only compromise is the lack of "00" size for the running guides.
Thanks for all your help.
Herb

Date: February 02, 2011 10:20AM

Not necessary to put finish in the fridge or freezer. Let it get to room temp then use. Light finish will aso penetrate better.

1000 is to smooth. Go to about 220 - 320 - 220 works fast. .

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 02, 2011 04:25PM

Bill,
The thread finish was mixed already - remember - I am the guy that extends working time by pouring small amounts on aluminum foil "trays" and freezing them. I take them out as I proceed through the wraps - don't have to rush - mix always flows easily.

I just happen to have a couple left over from 2 days ago - how's that for working time??

But - let's not get into that brouhaha again - please.
Herb

Date: February 02, 2011 08:52PM

O yea, now I remember Hay if it works go for it.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster