I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

expansion vises
Posted by: Fred Kerr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 12:02PM

Can anyone tell me where to acquire expansion vises of the type sold many years ago by Dale Clemens?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: expansion vises
Posted by: John Bumstead (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 12:31PM

Fred: You might find these for sale on places like the buy/sell pages on this site, but in my opinion, they might damage the newer graphite blanks that are on the market now. John

Posted by: Darrell L.Pack (---.qncyfl.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 01:48PM

Fred: What are you using these vises for?

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 05:33PM

I use masking tape arbors on Dowels,or blank pieces

Posted by: Jon Gold (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 12:01PM

This post got me thinking because, if I want to work on a rod over 8 ft. long I have to move my rod lathe and go through a bunch of nonsense because the room is too short.
I went to a Rocklin woodworking store near my house yesterday after reading your post and bought the smallest drum sanding arbors they had.
It measures right at .450 OD without tightening down the expansion nut on the rubber drum.
The rod I'm working on is a Batson RDR 96 MH downrigger rod 2pc. for salmon. The drum sanding arbor is a perfect fit inside the butt of the upper section and makes wrapping great.
Needless to say, I was VERY careful not to put too much pressure on the arbor until after I wrapped the butt of the upper section.
I put 3 progressively larger sizes of plastic tubing over the other end of the arbor, then blue masking tape, and it fits just fine in my lathe.
I HATE moving my rod lathe around, disturbing everything on my bench, knocking stuff over, etc., or even worse heading for the dining room with it for a really long rod.

Fred: Thank you very much for getting me thinking about this problem.
Jon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 12:03PM by Jon Gold.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 12:26PM

Jon -
I think what you may be looking for were based on Rawl or Hilti bolts. I used them a long time ago but found that short segments of blanks worked better for me. Here's a link to one type:

[www.warwickhanger.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 12:28PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Jon Gold (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 12:49PM

Ken:
You are right, short sections of various blanks are probably the best.
I guess I better start accumulating them.
Until then, I'm happy with these tiny sanding drum arbors, especially since they are expandable and have a rubber outer surface on the drum.
Come to think of it, I bet the Dremel tool uses similar drums that may work.
Thanks,
Jon

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 07:29PM

If you are using the expansion v ises for holding a blank, try a solid blank, or solid metal rod. If necessary, use masking tape to build up the rod to make a nice fit on the inside of the blank.

For smaller blanks, I simply chuck the solid rod into my drill and spin the solid blank against the belt sander to taper the end of the blank material to fit nicely inside the blank.

I do this all of the time after gluing up cork rings on a blank and then spin the built up blank - handle to shape the handle while the rod is spinning.

If I need to turn a blank without a handle on it to stiffen the butt section, I will take a few wraps of masking tape around the end of the blank, to avoid splitting out the end of the blank.

I have several cups of various sized blanks, both bare as well as some built up with masking tape to handle a large variety of blank sizes.

Simple and effective.

p.s.
One of the most effective blanks that I found was a piece of solid fiberglass rod material that was laying along side of the rod. Apparently it was a cast off from some construction job. I took my chop saw and chopped it up into 6 inch lenghts and have used it to make many different sized pieces for internal blank work.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 09:06AM

I have a long cardboard tube that I put all scrap blank pieces in. When needed I I check it for scrap pieces to fit a blank. Good to have.
Solid glass blanks are cheap and are tapered.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Fred Kerr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 12:57PM

Thanks to all. That gives me plenty to work with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster