I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Caps on wraps
Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: January 25, 2011 02:41PM

Hello,

Just started tying some diamonds and chevron wraps as a beginner. Things are coming along nicely, still getting used to packing tighter and thread spacing.

My question is about adding the caps or tie offs to the weaves you guys do. I've been capping my wraps with size A thread and find that the wraps give the caps a 3-D look to them as the wrap underneath is bumpy. I can get the thread tight with no gaps but it still has that bumpy look to it.

I'm also interested in how you keep inlays on these caps straight since the wrap underneath kinda wobbles the straight lines of the inlay.

Anyone one have a tutorial online? I've done all my learning via experimentation and online and never had the chance to sit with someone and see first hand how this stuff is done.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Caps on wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2011 02:54PM

Make the tie-off (what you call a "cap") a double layer. Wrap away and then back toward the wrap, adding any inlays on the top layer. This will create a smoother wrap and once finish is applied no one will ever know it is two layers deep.

Date: January 25, 2011 03:05PM

Thank you Tom!

So your still using size A for the caps?

Date: January 25, 2011 03:09PM

You can. But if you want to try D for your tie-offs it won't be noticeable unless we're talking about a very small diameter rod.

Date: January 25, 2011 03:11PM

Gotcha!

Thanks again Tom.

I'm nervous to ask questions here sometimes..... Humble beginner around a bunch of great artists. I appreciate your valuable feedback!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 03:15PM

Just the way I do this.........

1/ Wrap over the end of the design tightly (5-10 wraps). 2/ Apply color preserver to the exposed threads (beyond the terminal point of the decorative wrap). 3/ Carefully trim away ("fray") the unneeded threads on an angle away from the tie off wraps & spread them out (to eliminate the high cross-over "bumps" 4/ Complete the tie off wrap to the end and double back with a second layer (as Tom previously posted).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 03:19PM by Ken Preston.

Date: January 25, 2011 03:15PM

No reason to be nervous around here - this is one of a very few rod building forums, or any public forum for that matter, where you won't be "flamed." It's not allowed here so ask away.

Date: January 25, 2011 03:33PM

Ken,

Is #2 used to help keep the threads in place so they dont move while turning, #3 also to help in this process?

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2011 04:13PM

Adam,

If you post the city you live in or near, you may find a rod builder in your area.

Good luck and ask away. Every one here is here to help.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 25, 2011 04:50PM

Try this for some ideas:
[visualweave.com]

Regards
Dave

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 05:01PM

read what David gave you. it is a good way to put the ends on your wraps Thanks to Billy V.
Another trick is to CP the wrap before you add the end wraps. This holds the thread together and gives a base fore the end caps .

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 06:00PM

Adam -
Yes, #2 helps secure the threads so they don't pull out of alignment and #3 will then help eliminate the "bumps" you noticed in the wraps.

Date: January 25, 2011 07:00PM

Awesome!

Thank you guys again. Nothing like laying down a good wrap and having the caps look shotty.

I'm in Northern California - San Jose.

Havent found too many rod builders up here nor any shops that cater to the rod builder. Fishermans warehouse has thread and misc. parts but it's like an afterthought compared to all their other stuff. California Fly Shop has some great fly tying material as well.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 25, 2011 07:02PM

[www.kensfishingrods.com]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 07:59PM

Acid Rod
Good service Low shipping ratews

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.nextweb.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 08:57PM

Adam, I'm about an hour from you in Discovery Bay. Big void left when The Rod Rack closed up in Hayward. Rumors of a new shop opening soon in Martinez. I know there is some interest in networking amongst some rod builders in the area. Might be something to pursue.

Some good links provided to you there, especially the one from Dave. I do the CP trick sometimes as well. Nothing worse than putting 6-8 hrs in a complex closed wrap and have some threads try to pull loose on the tie-off. Get 4 or 5 threads wound using good tension, use some tape behind you just in case those come loose. Take your time and you'll be fine.

x2 on the Acid Rod rec as well.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 09:33PM

Adam,

I know another rod builder in San Jose and I'm in Sacramento. Send me your email address and I can you up someone close to you.
rcadams1957@msn.com

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: January 26, 2011 12:51PM

Thank you everyone for the information. I've really looked at the links provided and the step by step posted by Dave was great to see. I like the combing of the frayed ends to get them to sit flat and using tape to back the hold threads. All really good tips!

Ray I emailed you my email addy.

Thanks again guys!

Heres my first attempt -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 01:15PM by Adam Curtis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster