I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson Rainshadow RX7+ vs RX8+ Fly blank
Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 02:02PM

Hi, I am in the process of building my first custom fly rod for inshore saltwater fishing and I found these recently discontinued Batson Rainshadow RX7+ and RX8+ blanks at unbeatable prices $100-$140. Well, I have never used a fly rod before but I am willing to learn so I am not sure if I should go with the more moderate action RX7+ or the faster action RX8+ rod blank. I normally use high end bass rods (IMX, GLX, Steez, LE, LTXII, etc) when fishing inshore out my kayak and I normally prefer fast and x-fast action rods in the M (6-12, 8-14) / MH (8-17, 10-17) rating, matched with 2500-3000 size Shimano and Daiwa reels, so as you can see I like to fish with light tackle but I have been told that it would be very difficult for a beginner to learn to cast using a fast action fly rod, any truth in this. Finally, given my aforementioned fishing style preferences would you recommend I go with a 7, 8 or 9 wt fly rod. Your input is greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Pedro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 02:02PM by Pedro Gomez.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson Rainshadow RX7+ vs RX8+ Fly blank
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2011 02:53PM

All I can tell you is that Mr. Tom Kirkman taught me how to cast a fast action 8 wt. fly rod in less then 30 minutes, and at the time I knew nothing about casting fly rods.

Still don't know enough about fly fishing to recommend an action.

But I would list the RX8+ blanks as good or better then any you mentioned using for bass fishing.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 03:17PM

Go with the RX8+ . In the course of a day you will expend less energy - and since you are a light tackle person you will appreciate the faster reaction of the blank.

Date: January 25, 2011 04:32PM

Ok, but what about line wt. I can get the RX8+ 4 piece blank on 7, 9 or 10 wt. I know that most people recommend a size 8 for overall performance when fishing inshore but unfortunately I can only get it as a 5 piece blank. What do you guys think. Thanks

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: January 25, 2011 06:06PM

Could you please email me where you found these blanks in the $100 range? I built an 8wt recently that I got from a shop that is now out of them. They are extremely nice blanks and I would consider buying more at that low price.

Thanks

Drew

Date: January 25, 2011 06:15PM

Blank rating and line wt are slightly different things. The blank is rated with about 30' of line loading the blank. How far can you cast from your 'yak and what species are you after? The 'yak rods I've built for folks from Massachusetts who fish for bluefish and striped bass are happier with 8's than 9's. I think 7 will be a tad light. I don't see an issue or problem with a 5 piece rod other than the extra time you will take wrapping ferrules - and it may store better in a kayak. If you are put off by the idea of 5 section rod then I'd say better to go with the 9 wt and 'over wt' the line or perhaps go to a shooting head to get more line out through the guides to load up the rod.

Date: January 25, 2011 06:39PM

Ken,

I am not really sure I will be fly casting from a kayak. Even though my kayak does have a pair of stabilizers for added security I would hate to fall on the water and lose all of my fishing equipment :-(

Also, I do not own a boat so I would must probably be casting either from shore or maybe on a friend's boat if I get invited.

I am sure I would be happier with the 8wt too but I honestly thought the more blank pieces meant added weight and loss of sensitivity, if you pros can assure me that's not going the case or at least not that big of a deal with fly rods then I might give them a shot. Please advice.

Thanks,

Pedro

Date: January 25, 2011 06:51PM

Pedro -
I have to start with " I have not built on this model (RX8+ 5 section) " so I can't definitively say that you will or will not lose significant sensitivity over a 4 section rod. Intuitively I would opine "yes, there will be a loss of sensitivity" due to some added weight at the last ferrule wrap and the next to last ferrule. Is that significant? Personally I doubt I would ever be able to tell - but I'm not Lefty Kreh or Bob Clouser either! I have built on an RX8+ 9 wt and I can tell you that the action is "crisp" with a very fast tip reaction/recovery. Hopefully someone else will pick up this thread who has build one and can give you a better idea before you commit $$

Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (198.182.55.---)
Date: January 26, 2011 12:48AM

I have the RX8+ in a 9 1/2 foot 7 weight. Just finished building it but I have not made any casts with it. I've built lots of fly rods of all types and my general recommendation for new casters it to go with a medium-fast thus the RX7+. The big advantage is that you can typically feel the rod load better with a slower rod which helps with the casting timing. Personally I would go with a 7wt. I use to fishing a 9 weight for inshore (stripers and blues) but I like the 7wt better if you are going to be casting all day. Unless you are in deep water or casting big flies the 7wt should be plenty particularly if you can land the fish in shallow water. Main advantage to a 9 weight is lifting power. Don't worry about the number of sections. I have 2, 3, 4, 7 piece rods and like them all. I will caution you to keep on eye on the ferrules though out the day and make sure they don't start coming loose. More sections just means more joints to check for looseness.

Quinn

Date: January 28, 2011 08:30PM

Hi, you guys. I was offered an awesome deal on a St. Croix Legend Elite SCV blank model 5FF968.4 so I went ahead and purchased it. Now, that I have an 8wt I'll probably get the rainshadow RX8+ on a 10wt for light tarpon fishing. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2011 11:30AM by Pedro Gomez.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster