I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Epoxy Questions
Posted by: Tony Wilson (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2011 07:16PM

Hello Everybody! I have a couple of newbie questions..........

1) Are the methods to decrease viscosity and increase pot life the same across brands of finish? I am using LS Supreme Hi-Build and would like to get some more time out of it or make it more manageable while working with it.

2) How many coats of finish should I be putting on? I am currently on 2 and I see some thread exposure still. Am I doing something wrong or is the normal?

Thanks for the help.

Tony Wilson
Cincinnati Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 07:20PM by Tony Wilson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Questions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2011 07:29PM

LS Supreme High Build is the thickest finish on the market. I can't imagine using 2 applications of it, although depending on how much you're applying that would be fine. It should take you less than a minute (way less) to coat a guide wrap. More than that and you're messing with the finish too much. It knows what to do - let it.

Read this - it may help you: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2011 08:07PM

You can thin the epoxy with a little denatured alcohol, and it will also extend the pot life. However thinning it is never a recommendation. If you still have exposed threads after 2 coats of High Build, you are not applying enough and or brushing it, which is again a no no.

Date: January 24, 2011 10:24PM

For the lack of any better term...........what causes the pockmarks or sinkmarks that show up while the finish is setting up? I have watched closely, and didn't see any air bubbles. Is this just the "path of least resistance" and the finish is flowing to other areas?

Tony Wilson
Cincinnati Ohio

Date: January 24, 2011 10:37PM

No, if the finish exhibits craters and holes, you have something on the wraps that is repelling the finish.

Date: January 24, 2011 10:45PM

Thanks Tom! Sounds like I need to take better care prepping the wraps before finishing. Pretty tough to do with my current setup in a shared room (dining room). :-)

Am I correct to assume that using something like a tack cloth will help pull any particulates away from the wraps before I finish them?

Tony Wilson
Cincinnati Ohio

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 24, 2011 10:57PM

Your tack cloth is possibly your problem. I keep my hands clean, thread stored properly and aerosols away from things. After finishing the wraps, I apply epoxy - no tack cloth, no alcohol wipe and no compressed air. Contamination is easy enough to prevent and epoxy application is easy enough to do. 98% of the time, "helping" things along is the crux of the problem.

Date: January 24, 2011 11:30PM

I haven't used a tack cloth, I just thought maybe it would work. I thought wrong. :-) I build for myself, and might go a few days between wrapping and finishing.........is there a good way to clean off the wraps before finishing?

Tony Wilson
Cincinnati Ohio

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wch2ks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2011 11:59PM

I always use CP on my wraps to stop what you are describing. But I use Madeira.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 12:47AM

The voids you describe are called "fish-eyes" and are caused by contaminates on the thread. It can be silicone if you are using other than rod wrapping threads or something introduced after wrapping. Oil from your hands or sprays used in the room are often the culprits.

If you have to leave the wraps for a while before coating, cover them with some thing clean and dry.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 06:06AM

Just a possibility ........ dining room = furniture polish = "fish eyes"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 08:43AM

If some one is cleaning furniture - even - near the rod, it will fish eye. Too bad you can not do it in a bed room where you can close a door and open a window - just - for a little while to air the room out.
I wax rods in the same room as finishing but after several days have no problem with them.

Every thing has to be supper clean even you. LOL

If you are not using CP thin out your first coat - or use a light finish, and it may help to fill the thread and get out any bubbles. Then another high build coat.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 08:48AM by bill boettcher.

Date: January 25, 2011 10:02AM

You shouldn't have to clean the wraps before finishing. In fact, such cleaning is likely to do more harm than good.

When you're done wrapping, cover the rod with something until you can get around to applying finish.

Date: January 25, 2011 10:07AM

Light air or just a soft brush is all that should be needed. Some times I wet a paper towel - just damp -and while turning - lightly - go over the wraps.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: lee smith (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 12:29PM

I have found washing my hands with alcohol prior to wrapping takes care of all the problems I had.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 01:44PM

After wrapping a rod, a magnified view of the wraps will sometimes show dust and or skin cells from wrapping. To eliminate the issue, I use the 3M blue low tack painters masking tape to tack off the wraps.
I have never had an issue with the low tack leaving any residue, and it does an excellent job to remove dust and other left behind particles.

Roger

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 07:16PM

You can thin heavy ls with reg or lite ls. I have mixed 3 to 1 lite to heavy 4 to 1 and half and half. All will make heavy easier to work with. It was an experiment and was happy with results. Bill

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 26, 2011 12:30PM

Tom, another thought. Are you carefully making sure ahead of time that your rod is perfectly level? You can purchase a very small, bubble level at most hardware stores.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2011 07:50PM

Steve,
Why do you really care if the rod is perfectly level?
Are you worrying abou tthe epoxy running and sagging out of position during drying?

Roger

Date: January 27, 2011 12:12AM

the rod being level is one of the first things learned when finishing a rod.
And yes finish like any liquid will run if on a slant it will run to the lowest point. When level it flows level

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster