I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shrink wrapped Tennesse grips
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 23, 2011 02:32PM

Curious! Has anyone tried the X-Shrink tubing to attach reels to a Tennessee handle?? I would think that if you cut inch or two tubes of it it would be quick to install and easy to cut off. The only question would be is would it be tight enough?

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2011 02:33PM by Mike Barkley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shrink wrapped Tennesse grips
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2011 03:14PM

measure diameter of blank ........think.............re-measure......... think again.........measure ID diameter of shrink tube....... Remember shrink is a little LESS than 1/2 original diameter........ and it will work. Best to cover beyond the reel foot ... remeasure so shrink tube fits blank snug

Posted by: Scott Nordlund (---.sub-174-253-155.myvzw.com)
Date: January 23, 2011 03:20PM

Saw bunches of ice rods like this...including St. Croix this year.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2011 08:12PM

I would think you wouldn't have any problems especially on lighter rods but it would all depend on the shrink tubing one uses. There are some industrial shrink tube used primarily in the wiring and cabling industry that is quite tight & strong. The only downside with some tubing products is the amount of heat needed, availability, & price however.

If one is concerned with the reel not being tight over the long haul you could always use a few thread wraps and then use the tubing to conceal the wraps and provide better comfort and ascetics. If I were to try this I probably would use a single piece of tubing with a small slot cut into it, slip the reel foot into the slot, then shrink it down. I might even flock the tubing! Nice, warm, & comfortable.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: January 23, 2011 08:21PM

I like the slit idea, Raymond! I need to order some tubing!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 23, 2011 08:25PM

Mike,

Go ahead and order some of that X-Flok type tubing. I think I have some industrial stuff and if so, I'll send you a piece to check out too.

Raymond Adams

Date: January 23, 2011 08:30PM

Now that I've thought a little more, a tiny hole would be better than a slit. As the tubing shrinks a slit could tear & split the tubing. A tight fit around the foot prior to shrinkage should work best.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.we.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2011 08:58PM

Mike, I tried this about 3 or 4 years and did the exact same thing that Raymond said. I cut the smallest hole I could to get reel foot in and used a heat gun to shrink it down but after using this setup for a few weeks the reel started working loose. If you could find a better type of shrink tube it might work better.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2011 10:21PM

Mike , I can tell you first hand that just by shrink wrapping the reel in place alone is not a solid mounting. I have done it and the tubing does stretch after awhile. Before you know it, after every cast you have to realign the reel with the guides and when fighting a fish the reel is wobbling on the cork handle.
The only sure way to utilize shrink tubing over a reelfoot would be to secure the foot to the handle first, by ether wrapping with electrical or TOMY Tape. But, when its done this way it leaves a bulge in the foot area.
Still, after shrink wrapping it is much more comfortable than an exposed foot.Sure Grip is the name of the shrink tubing I prefer.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2011 09:44AM

I use about three rounds of the filament box strapping tape on each side of the reel foot and then cover with the shrink tubing. That fllament strapping tape is tough stuff. You have to cut it to be able to use it. It won't rip or tear like other type tapes. When you cinch about three rounds of that on and then apply the shrink over, the reel won't go anywhere.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: January 24, 2011 11:20AM

I did this without ever seeing or hearing about it for a customer, only it was to be put over the slip rings for more comfort....he didn't have a heat gun to affix the x-flock shrink grip over the feet, so it was a no go. St. Croix is selling their ice rods with the x-flock shrink grip in ring form to be shrunk down.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2011 11:30AM

Mike,
For all of my rods using a Tennesse handle, I simply keep a roll of electrical tape in my tackle box.
About two wraps of tape on the front reel foot and the back reel foot and you are set. If the tape every gets loose, and or dirty, take it off and put on a fresh wrap. Simple effective and looks essentially the same as the heat shrink.

Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 24, 2011 01:23PM

Bob McKamey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use about three rounds of the filament box
> strapping tape on each side of the reel foot and
> then cover with the shrink tubing. That fllament
> strapping tape is tough stuff. You have to cut it
> to be able to use it. It won't rip or tear like
> other type tapes. When you cinch about three
> rounds of that on and then apply the shrink over,
> the reel won't go anywhere.

Exactly! Even two wraps is sufficient. Do this under shrink tube or electrical tape. Do not over stretch the electrical tape. You will have a sticky mess later on. Use good, 3M tape!

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: January 27, 2011 01:48PM

Have used the filament tape for several years and have not had one reel move at all. You could use shrink wrap over it but too much heat might cause the adhesive to break down. I usually use only enough to get a good stick, maybe one and a half time around the grip then cover with a good black tape, usually 3-M. I think the shrink wrap alone will allow the reel to move within a short time.

Date: January 27, 2011 05:39PM

Thanks for all the help! Will post when I do it!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster