I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help needed wih guide placement
Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: January 22, 2011 12:46PM

I have some blanks i need to wrap and i need your help. I have 4 5'9" 80lb Gator blanks. I will be putting on a 2" gimbal,10" slick butt. 5" reel seat and an 8" foregrip. Can anyone help me with how i should do the guide spacing? any help would be appreciated!!

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2011 12:53PM by kevin gross.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help needed wih guide placement
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2011 04:11PM

Kevin, you might find the information in the library in the static guide placement article.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2011 04:23PM

Kevin,
This blank like all blanks is pretty easy to position guides.
Have a roll of 1/4 inch wide tape on hand.
Take a scissor and cut a bunch of 1-2 inch strips and have them ready to use.

After you have the butt, reel seat and fore grip in place with the glue dried do some rod flexing to position the blank.

Put the butt of the rod on a capeted floor to keep the butt from sliding. Then, began to flex the blank, from the tip down. Mark the spot where the blank first flexes, for the first guide. Flex the rod some more and use the tape to mark the spot where the blank flexes next.

These two marks will be a good starting point for the rest of the rod. I assume that you are using a bait casting reel on this rod, so position the butt or first guide at about 18 inches from the center of the reel seat. Then, from the two front guides that you have marked, see if you need any more guides toward the tip, if so, divide the distance to the tip to find the position to the tip. Then, from the guide that flexed first and the butt guide, divide the distance, so that you can simply install guides at decreasing spacing (matching the taper of the rod) from the butt guide on up to the tip of the rod.

Mount the reel, and with guides taped in place, flex the rod, and see if the line is flowing nicely, and if necessary, delete or add a guide and or decrease or increase the spacing of the guides.

Bottom line, use as few guides as possible that is consistent with the line following the curve of the blank and nicely loading the blank. If you are concerened about the line touching the rod under flex, use tall enough guides and or enough guides to keep the line off of the rod. Some folks don't worry about the line touching or even going under the rod on a big flex, but that is up to you.

By the way - on some blanks, you may find that the first guide down from the tip is further away from the tip, than the distance between the first and 2nd tip guide to match the contour of the loaded flexed blank. If so, don't worry about it, just place the guide where it is needed to allow the blank to be loaded and meet the rest of your criteria.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.73.69.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 23, 2011 11:40AM

Kevin,
Try this as a starting point
5 Guides
Distance from tip
5.0 11.0 18.2 26.7 36.8

If after review you would feel more comfortable with 6 guides to decrease line loading
4.6 9.7 15.4 21.8 28.9 36.8

Eugene Moore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2011 01:07PM by Eugene Moore.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2011 02:11PM

Think about a Spiral Wrap.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster