I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old/New rod builder needs help
Posted by: Larry Hale (---.dsl.eulstx.swbell.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 08:03PM

I've decided to build rods again after 45 years. Everything has changed since the old days. Back then we were still using solid glass blanks, rod varnish, and Gudebrod wrap. My first will be a panfish/light saltwater spinning rod. I'm looking for ideas on blanks, wrap, and finishing products.

Now that retirement is here, I need something to keep me busy.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old/New rod builder needs help
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 08:19PM

Larry =
Look at the MHX blanks - good value & fine, fine blanks. Lots of threads out there. The newest on the market is ProWrap by American Tackle - wide range of colors and two diameters (A & C). The A is slightly thinner than Gudebrod A and the C is more like a B. Finishing products..... wow, way too many to really do justice by them. Again newest currently on the market I think is ProKote (again by American Tackle). Many people use ThreadMaster. Others prefer a super thin covering that can be obtained using PermaGloss or Lumaseal. As I understand it there may well be an "unveiling" at the ICRBE of a one-part rod finish to replace epoxy.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 10:47PM

I think Ken meant the ProWrap comes in A and D sizes.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 11:05PM

Larry:

You are in the same boat I am in. I am sure you will get many answers to your question. One of the things I don't understand is the "pan fish/light salt water" question. Pan fish here in Idaho is crappie, bluegill and small trout. We fish 1/32 to 1/8 oz jigs, Mepp's 0 size lures for these. I can tell you that these rods would not be suitable for most things that live in salt water. Take a look at the left. They sell good products, and list the blanks they sell. Better yet, pick one of them that is close to you, and give them a call. I have yet to talk to any of them that was there "just to sell what was on the shelf". They will point you to the right product for your new build.

There are many great threads and finishes out there. Everyone has their opinions, and this is good, just confusing for you and I. I went from the old Gudbrod "glass" finish to FlexCoat, simply because it was "the thing" to have an epoxy finish. I still use FlexCoat, but this might be because it has worked for me, and I am famiiar with it.

The learning curve for us "old guys" that have been out of it for years is long and steep. The people on this list will help you through it.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 11:53PM

Larry -

Before you start, go to the "SEARCH" tab on the top of the forum page. Type in any topic you like and make sure you change the date to "ALL". You should find many of the same topics already discussed and many, I must reiterate, MANY opinions. Just like Mike above, I have yet to talk to any of the vendors on the left that won't give you an honest, good answer.
If there is any way you can make it to the ICRBE in High Point I promise it is well worth your time.

Todd

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2011 02:45AM

Larry, You got anything leftover from 45 years ago,do us a favor and put it up on the buy/sell page.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: January 22, 2011 10:00AM

Dennis,

Wish I had some of the old stuff left, but 45 years ago I was building rods in a tackle shop as a summer job while I was in high school.

Larry

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 22, 2011 11:59AM

I was in a similar boat.... I learned how to build rods as a kid in the 70's, then gave it up. Started building again 25 years later.

Back then, the standards were:

1) Graphite blanks from Fenwick and glass from Lamiglas.

2) Flexcoat high build finish epoxy - most have gone to this because you only need one coat.

3) Ceramic guides - protect mono lines from heat damage... they are still the standard today.

4) Thread - don't remember, LOL! But gudebrod seems to be the most popular, but there was some talk about the company reorganizing... might want to check on that.

What has changed: the graphite blanks are much tougher than yesteryear. Also, there are a lot more options in rod building parts and embellishments... just as an example, the number of finish epoxies available is crazy... you can't try them all... by the time you did, new ones will have come out in the meantime. That said, I like a medium-build epoxy like Bullard's Diamond 2. I also like the Prowrap thread, it comes off the spool with minimal twist.

I would look at graphite blanks... they are much lighter, more sensitive, and longer casting than glass by a wide margin. Look at the light popping blanks in the batson catalog. I also like thier XY and ceramic fly guides.

Date: January 22, 2011 11:48PM

Larry, That must have been a great job.I worked in a wood shop sanding and staining furniture after school for about 2 years. I enjoyed it too. The people I worked for were great. Need anything , Send me an E-Mail.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: January 23, 2011 08:55AM

Dennis,
It was a great job. Left the house at 5AM, rode my bicycle 6 miles to be there at 5:30, and worked till 3 PM.

Larry

Date: January 23, 2011 10:35PM

Larry, I worked 3pm to 6pm after school and All day on Saturdays. I got there by shoe leather express, about 1mile from home.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster