I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tube in Handle Hook Keeper
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 20, 2011 04:40PM

I am thinking about putting a "hidden" tube style hook keeper on a couple of rods - similar to the hook keeper that Shimano uses with their Cumara rods. For rods that would be fished with light hooks I thought I'd use about a 1/8" ID stainless or brass tube and seal the inside end with epoxy.

Any comments pro or con to this style hook keeper, and any installation tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tube in Handle Hook Keeper
Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: January 20, 2011 09:54PM

Have not seen it but if it hides the keeper by using a tube inside the handle I can see liking it better than the keeper types that protrude. All I have ever experienced with most common hookkeepers is line snarling and knuckle busting.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2011 10:22PM

Dan,
Many folks who are building split grip rods, put a conventional hook keeper just in front of the butt cap. Out of the way, and allows the use of a longer leader.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2011 10:32PM

Richard,

When I use a hook keeper, I use the drop shot type and put it about 3/16" in front of the butt grip on a split grip handle. I also offset it to the side of the reel handle. Once I have the rod in my rod hand, the lure is right there ready to go. The line also remains close to the blank and helps keep tangles down a bit when transporting the rods. If I can't put the keeper there, I either use the butt guide frame or reel frame on a casting reel.

Joe

Edit: Sorry Roger, typing at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 10:34PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 08:37AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dan,
> Many folks who are building split grip rods, put a
> conventional hook keeper just in front of the butt
> cap. Out of the way, and allows the use of a
> longer leader.
>
> Take care
> Roger

Let me ask a dumb question, how big are the rocket launchers on your boat? That's been my problem with those hook keepers. I can't tie on a plug, hook it there and then put it in the rocket launchers on my leaning post or T-top.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 02:58PM

Joe,
Right on.
Another thing to reduce line tangles when you are storing multiple rods in a close space, with a leader and or bait on the rod hooked to the hook keeper is to twist the line.

Take the line that is running down the rod to the hook keeper and wrap it around the rod a few times. Use the guides to latch the line as you loop it around the rod. It is remarkable how much better the rods store and the tangles minimized by just doing a few line twists around the rod with the leader.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster