I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Purple spots under decal
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2011 11:51AM

I just applied a few larger decals (1.8 x 4.1 inches) to some rods I made. On a couple of these decals, there were a few dark purple roundish spots, coming up from underneath the decal, barely visible except under strong light. Also, where the edges overlapped, there were some dark purple discoloration along the edge. On some of the decals, there were no dark spots, so they were perfect.

The background of the decals was black.

I am wondering what causes this. My guess is that there is some sort of pocket, maybe air, between the decal and the blank...although there is no discernible bubble, which would show up a lot on a glossy surface. In general, I printed the decals the day before and they sat around overnight and maybe a little longer. I put the decals on and it was a number of hours before I put the epoxy on. I do not recall this exactly, but I think a couple of the rods sat overnight with the decals attached without any epoxy. I need to pay more careful attention to this in the future.

Any thoughts and remedies.?

Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Purple spots under decal
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2011 02:53PM

Did you put a coat of finish on the blank before you put the decal on
Did you put CP over the decal before the finish
Why do the decals - overlap

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 02:55PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2011 11:56PM

Are these the decals that you printed on the white vinyl? If so, my first guesses would be:

-Sharpie marker used for touch-up, the ink often looks purple after it dries
-Contaminated decal surface before printing
-Are you using name brand or other high quality ink cartridges in your printer?
-Did you use Photoshop? Is there possibly a layer in the file that added color over the black background? I missed this one time and it caused some funky color problems after printing.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 12:14PM

I have had a little too much cp overlap onto black printed vinyl decals that leaves a purple or discolored hue. Also, cp can give black thread a purple hue.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 01:52PM

Black does not need CP. Unless you are using other colors with it.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 24, 2011 03:51PM

I did not use a Sharpie marker.
The notion of a contaminated decal surface...the rod surface or the decal surface itself...the white vinyl? Also, what sort of contamination do you have in mind.
I am using HP cartridge ink.
I will have to check the PS layers. There are at least three layers (1) the black background, (2) the fish picture, (3) and lettering. I did not collapse the layers prior to printing.

The interesting part of this is that half the decals were okay, the other had a few spots and some discoloration about the overlapping edges. I can take care of the overlapping problem by not having them overlap; althought I thought it would produce a better look (using black).

Date: January 24, 2011 03:53PM

I did not finish the blank before applying the decal.
I did not use any CP over the vinyl decal.

I have not had any of these problems with smaller decals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster