I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
American Made Blanks
Posted by: Jonathan Yergin (---.bsu.edu)
Date: January 19, 2011 12:01PM

Out of curiosity what companies produce their rod blanks here in the US? I ask because awhile back my father and I took a fly fishing course and the gentleman stressed rods made here in the US. His logic was graphite is used in the space industry so it is not exported out of the US but rod makers here have the ability to obtain the higher grades of graphite. Has anybody heard anything similar?

Thanks
Jonathan Yergin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: American Made Blanks
Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 19, 2011 12:38PM

Jonathan.. Im afraid your Instructor is mistaken, as Graphite [ Fibres / Cloth ] are produced in a number of Countries throughout the World. It is not something exclusive to NASA. As for U.S based manufacturers..St. Croix, Sage, Lamiglas, Loomis...just to name a few.

Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 19, 2011 12:41PM

Jonathan... Add Batson to that list as well...some of thier Blanks are made in the U.S

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.lightspeed.crlkil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 01:16PM

I'm curious as to what if any Batson blanks are still made in the USA ?

Posted by: Karen Hapka - Bingham Ent. (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 01:37PM

Don't forget the "new kid" on the block-- North Fork Composite blanks by Gary Loomis are made here in the US

Karen Hapka
Bingham Enterprises

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 01:49PM

Johnathan,
Remember, today we have a world economy.
There are few components that are specifically made in any particular country.
A nut is made here, a bolt is made there, and a handle is made across the ocean.

The important this is not where it is made, but if it is made of the quality that you want, and if the price is satisafctory for you.

Roger

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 01:52PM

North Fork Composites, G Loomis, Talon, Lamiglas, Orvis,Seeker, Calstar, CUI, Gator glass, Sage, Rogue, St Croix, the new GUSA, who else am I missing?? Oh Thomas and Thomas... Batson hasn't been made in the US since like `07.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2011 02:48PM

Wayne,

The RX7+ and RX8+ are rolled in the US. RX6, RX7, and RX8 are imports. The + sign indicates US made blanks.

Joe

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 19, 2011 03:50PM

C.F. Burkheimer

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 19, 2011 04:37PM

Just because the blank is rolled in the US doesn't mean the fibers are US made. To NFC's credit - that's one of the big intitiatives they had was a wholely US made product.

Take your 5 largest fiber producers - Toho, Toray, Mitsubishi, Hexcel, and Cytec - (I don't have #s on Cytec) - 3 of them produced more CF outside of the US than in it. Only Hexcel has a majority of their output being made stateside.

That doesn't even touch the manufacture of resin systems. to create the prepeg.

Sounds like a commercial... "Where do you get your fiber?"

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 04:46PM

There are a few good blank manufacturers in the USA>>and YES we still have some Blanks made in the USA>>As indicated above and in our catalog and website the + in the part number indicates its made in the USA>>Its a Plus ( + ) that we can still have some of this made in the USA>>

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 19, 2011 04:55PM

Here's a neat tidbit of information ... [northforkcomposites.com]

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 07:17PM

But there is a rumor going around that the RX7+ and RX8+ are being discontinued. I built an 8wt RX8+ and it's a really good caster. Very nice blank. I hope they are available in the future.

Drew

Bill Batson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are a few good blank manufacturers in the
> USA>>and YES we still have some Blanks made in the
> USA>>As indicated above and in our catalog and
> website the + in the part number indicates its
> made in the USA>>Its a Plus ( + ) that we can
> still have some of this made in the USA>>
>
>
> Bill Batson
> CEO
> Batson Enterprises
> Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines
> 877-875-2381
> www.batsonenterprises.com
> batson@batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.74.121.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 07:33PM

R.L. Winston
Scott

Posted by: Jonathan Yergin (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 07:42PM

I appreciate all the input, I have learned quite a bit reading all your responses.

Thanks,
Jonathan Yergin

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2011 08:40PM

For some time I have read that sports equipment employing graphite materials rely upon the several types of graphite material built for the defense and aerospace industry and made to their specifications, not, say, to the specs of rod blank fabricators. Is this true?

I recently read in an outdoors magazine that the military will not release its newest and most highly developed graphite to the general public, including rod blank fabricators, and that this new material is up to twice as "strong" as previous materials. Is this true?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2011 09:19PM

Not all carbon fibers are suitable for making fishing rods, no matter how "strong" they might be.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 10:00PM

A fiber called M5 was developed by Magellan and now is being made by Dupont that is strong like Kevlar and light like carbon fiber. I did read that it was to be shown to recreational manufactuers as well as bullet/ armour vest manufactuers but this was a few years ago and don't know what name it goes under now and or if it's something that rods could be made of. They talked of golf shafts so I just thought that it would!!

Nothing against Batson but I thought we were talking about companys that make their own blanks not that have US made blanks??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 10:03PM by John Martines.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 10:40PM

Drew,
The RX7+ and RX8+ fly blanks I've been told are discontinued, I bet there are a bunch still at the dealers though so stock up.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2011 09:20AM

Take a look at these links and you may understand why guys like Jason Brunner, Bill Batson, Gary Loomis, Al Jackson, Randy Penny, Steve Rajeef, David Wong and many who design, build and import/export fishing rods using things identified as "advanced materials" by the Federal Government at times have their hands tied behind their backs.

You have the IRS and they have the ICAR!

When you take a look at the problems presently associated with the export of things that are made with "advanced materials" your perspective may change.

How many fishermen know that the graphite fibers in their fishing rod have traveled thousands of miles in refrigerated containers to get precursor from South Alabama to Huntsville in North Alabame for conversion to graphite fiber then to Tokoyo for prepeg and back to locations all over the world before the blank was finally rolled by a toymaker?

When the first link opens scroll down to the section on "advanced materials" and see how our world is impacted by existing regulations..

[www.acq.osd.mil]

No matter what the subject THEY control the answers.

[www.exportrules.com]

No wonder they build tubular shafts for extra fast action and shakey heads with materials that are on the shelves.

Getting the straightest, lightest, stiffest, most durable fishing rod in exactly the action and power you desire at affordable prices is no simple matter.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 08:53PM by Bill Stevens.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster